I am 70 with mobiity poblems and tachycardia which needs beta blockers which prevent me raising heart rate and back problems which make walking and exercising difficult and the start of joint problems and a sedentary lifestyle I am on week 10 of Optifast and have lost 9 kg.I do Laura Fergusson therap pool exercise 3x wweek, my  only form  of exercise and a light home programme of weights.physio exercises etc I am thinking of buying a cross trainer as this is low impact - would it be OK for me to use- dont want to waste money

I am also concerned that blood sugars have not gone down much although they are stable and I wonder if it is the fructose in the Optifast???

Sarah Trust

Hello, Sarahtrust!  I see from the product information that the Optifast shakes have 10 grams of carbs in every serving and the meal bars have 19-21 grams of carbs.  If you fit them into your carb counts, I don't see that they would pose a problem with your blood sugars.  What have your blood sugars been running?  I think a cross trainer would be great if you believe you will use it, and it won't collect dust as my treadmill did.  ;)  How much weight are you looking to lose?  Are you on medication for your diabetes or any other condition? 

I am on the intensive phase so only have 1 bar 1 shake and one soup a day plus green vegetables 2 cups so that is the only carbs I have .Blood sugars are running 8-9 instead of 6-7 but overall since optifast they have been very stable over the day and much lower at night when they used to spike. HAALC 57 down from 65 I am on metformin insulin ( halved since optifast now 14 twice a day) long acting, also blood pressure, beta blocker for tachicadia, doxyzosin,felodopine,aspisrin inhibace- difficulty moving much because of back problems waiting operation, so I thought cross trainer would be great- as you say - if I would use it
Cheers Sarahtrust