Hello! I am 56 year-old male and for the last two weeks I have been hearing strange noise inside my ear. The noise comes and goes and when it’s present it is driving me crazy. I can’t concentrate on anything else but this noise. My wife says this is called tinnitus and that I should go and see a doc but I wanted to check if there’s a way for this noise to go away on its own. Thank you

You sound like a typical male. If there were a way to avoid going to the doc, he would avoid it. A doc should determine what the possible cause might be and in return try to eliminate the cause. Are you taking any sorts of medication? There are certain types of drugs that has buzzing in ears as a side effect. Make sure you mention this to a doc. If it’s not the drug, a doc may run all sorts of tests including x-rays, laboratory tests, check your balance. The thing is that sometimes the cause can’t be found at all. There are certain things you could do in order to lessen the ringing or noise as you call it. You should certainly avoid loud sounds, lessen the amount of salt you are taking, get rid of caffeine and cigarettes, check your blood pressure and try to ignore the noise in your head if possible at all.