Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl and had a tonsillectomy on the 24th. I noticed that my tongue was going numb, and when I looked at it in the mirror it's covered in pasty white stuff, and is swollen. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm currently taking liquid Keflex (antibiotic) and liquid Hydrocodone (painkiller).

hello meg,

since you are young it is natural that you are worried and I presume that your surgeon has spent more time explaining to your parents what to expect and what is normal and what should they watch out for, instead of spending some time with you and share this information with you as well.

Everything except bleeding is normal. Since it has been some time after your tonsillectomy you should start to feel a little bit better with no more that severe pain and not bleeding at all. If you by any chance notice blood, tell this to your parents at once. Numbness of your tongue is probably caused by the painkillers you are taking. If you are worried ask your parents or your doctor about your concerns.