So, I had tonsillitis maybe two years ago. My right tonsil was very enlarged, like, touching my uvula. So I went to the hospital because the doctor’s office was closed (it was around holiday season), but my throat was killing me. They diagnosed, gave me a prescription for antibiotics and sent me on my way. I took the antibiotics every day, like I was supposed to, and when they were gone, my tonsillitis came back. My mom had antibiotics that she hadn’t needed for a few weeks. I took them. I know I wasn’t helping with the antibiotic crisis, but I was a poor college kid who couldn’t afford going back, and was irrationally afraid that if I didn’t start back on antibiotics again right away, I’d be sick forever. Anyway, I took them, and my tonsillitis went away. The problem is, my enlarged tonsil didn’t. I went to my doctor a month later, and she said that because of my insurance, she couldn’t take my tonsils out unless I had a chance of dying from my right one being so big. But literally, it’s closing off half my throat! Not to be gross, but food doesn’t always get past it! Now, it’s been like two years, and it’s STILL LIKE THAT. The swelling hasn’t gone down at all, despite having no tonsillitis, sore throats or anything. It’s still a tad uncomfortable, it’s a bit difficult to swallow because of it. Does anyone know why my swelling won’t go down? What do I do?

I had simply just gotten my tonsils removed because like you the swelling would not go down which caused me to get sick often. Your tonsils and adenoids are design by nature to act as filters for bacteria, viruses and toxins.
They’re also sensitive indicators for your body health.
So if you have some bacteria or toxins in your body, the tonsils may become enlarged and infected. So a healthy diet consisting of fruits or smoothies would probably be best.