After experiencing some flu-like symptoms such as fever, sore throat and problems with swallowing I made my boyfriend visit a doctor. He was diagnosed with tonsilliths and he is 30 years old. I thought this is children’s disease. How does tonsilliths occur anyway? Will he have to take them out?

Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the tonsils caused by viral or bacterial infection. Tonsillitis can develop in people of all ages. You should know that tonsillitis is contagious and is spread from person to person by contact with the throat or nasal fluids. Tonsilitis can be treated with antibiotics if caused by bacteria and in viral infe4ction, it usually goes away on its own but some medications can be given to get rid of the symptoms. Taking the tonsils out is done if there are many attacks of tonsillitis each year.

are tonsiliths and tonsillitis the same thing