Hello! I am 19 years old and I have never had tonsillitis in my life. Now, I can tell you that my throat is sore and I think that tonsils are swollen. I think that I maybe got tonsillitis. So, ca you tell me does tonsillitis make throat hurt? Should I visit my doctor because of this or I need just to rest? Thank you in advance!

Hello! Well, regarding the fact that you said you have never had tonsillitis, I am not surprised because you do not know how painful tonsillitis can be. You will need to visit your doctor as soon as possible, because you need to do tests which will show have you tonsillitis caused by bacteria or virus which is very important for treatment.

Hi there,
Your tonsils are located at the beginning of your throat so there is a good chance that your throat will hurt if you have tonsillitis. I can tell you several symptoms of tonsillitis so you can conclude if you really have this condition. Tonsillitis is characterized by difficulty swallowing, ear pain, fevers and chills, strong headaches and also sore throat. There are also voice changes but they are not that often associated. Do you have any pain when you eat? Have you noticed any color changes n your tonsils? You can try to treat this with some over the counter antibiotics but if the condition last more then few days you should see a doctor. Sometimes there might be a reason to get tonsils out.