I'm 65 and suffered from tonsil stones most of my life. Always feels like I have a crumb stuck on my tonsil.  I have been so desperate I attacked them with a skewer! Now the ENT doc told me not to come back until I was ready to have my tonsils out!

When I was in his office he removed the stones.... less then 2 minutes... after that I was alright for 12 months. Seems to me it would make more sense to have that done once a year then major surgery.

Reading all the posts.... I seem to be the oldest person in line for this surgery.

Has anyone else suffered from tonsil stones? Is there anyone who had this done at my advanced age?

Thanks

Hi Juvy!  I'm 59 and also have tonsil stone problems.  My ENT found them in a CT scan to find out what is irritating my throat.  He said they are very large, and will probably not 'fall' out ~ he didn't offer the removal option, saying once you have them, they'll just come back.  I have been living with little or no sleep for the past 5 mths ~ every hour or so, it feels like someone poked the back of my throat (must be the stone bumping it?) and I start coughing , which doesn't help, and I'm afraid I'll hurt my throat.  I'm scheduled to have them removed Feb 1st and am SCARED TO DEATH of the guaranteed incredible pain for the recovery.

Did you decide to get yours out?

I had my tonsils out last week.... this is day 8....... they said worse pain between day 6 and 7..... so I had hoped today would be better... so far it's not. When I first woke up it wasn't bad at all... they served sandwiches 2 hours later and cornflakes in the morning. Then day 3 it got a little worse.... each day... they told me it will be the worst between 6-9 days..... it was pretty bad on day 6 , no change yet. Thing what gets me is... it feels like it's the tongue that hurts more then anything.. like the worse muscle ache you can imagine, way back in your tongue. Makes it a strain to talk and hard to move food around. Pain medication is good tho.... but you really have to take it before the pain is bad.. keep it going. When I just sit here doing nothing it's fine... when I start swallowing it hurts and the more I eat the worse it seems to get... just hoping that it WILL improve very soon.... my patience is running thin. Other surgeries get better after a week... this one gets worse. Then I remind myself how many people go through this.... I WILL get through it.... hopefully after x-mas I will start enjoying life without tonsil stones! Most importantly... she said if you have stones you have chronic low grade infection... not good for the rest of you..... that for me was the main reason I went through with this.

thank you, may I ask which pain med your Dr. put you on? I'm hoping to avoid opioids, but like many first time mommies that opt for no drugs at delivery *until they scream for it, lol* I think I want to ask for a prescription I can fill just IN CASE. I discovered there a another set of tonsils actually on your tongue called lateral tonsils! Maybe they are reacting to the trauma and causing you the tongue pain?

I keep telling people they must have pulled out my tongue and nailed it to the ceiling during surgery! lol See? my sense of humour is coming back. Anyway...... the main pain medication they put me on is good old panadol ( I'm in Australia, so you might have to look up what that would be in the US) 2 pills 4 times a day. Next in line is Tramadol.... 1-2 every 6 hours..... and last is Endone.... which I refused to take as my husband ran into walls when he did. I also stuck with just ONE of the Tramadol. Would think if someone were to take all the pain meds I was given they probably would have less pain.... or probably would not KNOW they had pain :) Also..... drink drink drink.... they told me at least 2l a day! I found that diet pepsi worked for me... thought if it can clear battery acid of car batteries the surly it would help clear the possible scabs. That's the goal... no scabs... funny because I used to think scabs are good... but not in this case.... that's why they make you eat rough stuff now. Sounds awful.. but actually that's not a problem..... this is about like the worst tonselitis you ever had... pain is a bit different, but not sharp like I expected. I am now half hour late with the Tramadol.... maybe.. just maybe it IS getting better. :)

again I thank you! I'm prone to working myself into an anxiety ridden state of panic, so I'm trying to get a grip on as much of this as I can before I take the plunge!

Glad you're getting your sense of humor back, that always helps. I feel like I'm being a baby to need this, as I haven't been having strep throat ~ but I'm so sick and tired of never getting more than an hour of sleep (since about July) I'm ready to cash it in, lol! I have a lot of sinus probs also, that seems to agrivate the little buggers...

Speaking of Australia, I'm planning to use raw honey as a weapon in the scab fight. I've used it to heal most cuts etc. and it works much better/faster than an antibiotic. Living in the middle of nowhere, I can't get Manuka Honey, will have to make do with raw, unfiltered local stuff. Not sure if I'll have to dilute it with water, it might be so thick it makes me choke?

one more question please: do you find you have to sleep on your back ? Does keeping your head elevated help? I haven't seen anyone mention sleep ~ which, or course, is my main priority! *even though it sounds like it'll only be in 2 hr increments *

I have had no trouble sleeping at all.... any position works! Heard of the honey, but have not used it. My doc told me to get something called Cepacaine to gargle with and a mouthwash with hydrogen poroxide in it... Colgate supposed to make one, but didn't find it. The Cepacaine is also to numb the throat..... I tried 3 times. it seems VERY strong and made me cough and cough and cough for 2 hours, so have not used it again. Then I diluted regular poroxide and tried with that... bit better, but doesn't numb pain. This morning I notice I have a whitish/yelloish film on my tongue.. waiting for the doctors office to open . will give them a call and try to find out if this is anything to worry about.... like maybe infection .. which would explain why my pain keeps hanging around. So in a way I hope that's what it is. I'm like you.... I want all th einformation I can get before.... rather be scared for nothing and happy when bad stuff doesn't happen, then thinking all is find an be hit sideways by something unexpected. Everybody is different.... so you might never experience this, or at least not this bad. you are much younger :)