My son is 8 and has just this last year and a half started getting tonsil stones. Im pretty familiar with them as I have dealt with them for years but mine seem to be small and never cause pain. My sons on the other hand are larger due to the larger pits he has in his tonsils. They have made his tonsils swell and he has multiple that are visibly on the surface. I've seen people remove them themselves but being that he's 8 with a really sore throat he wont let me try. Is there anything that I can have him do that can eleviate the pain, remove them without digging in his tonsils? :-(

Since tonsil stones form when there are resistant tonsil infections only permanent solution to this problem for your son would be to remove his tonsils. That way he will get rid of sore throat happening over and over again. Have you talked with your doctor about this possibility? Also, second best thing which will handle the problem more permanently are antibiotics. But until you get to the doctor and antibiotics, gargling with warm, salty water may help your son to ease the discomforts of sore throat.