Hello. I’ve been having some problems lately with my dog. Ever since he reached one year he started having skin problems. I try to help him as much as I can, but I don’t really know much about proper dog skin care. He now has a rash, and I took him to the vet. He said he will be better in no time and he suggested me to read about some prevention methods when it comes to skin rashes. I searched for it online but I failed finding anything worth reading. Can you tell me what are the most common prevention options for dog skin rashes?

He didn’t told you anything about prevent methods? Weird :/

About the prevention, I don’t know what type of rash is this, so I really can’t talk about the prevention, but to be honest, there is not too much things that you can do to prevent. Hygiene is really important, but sometimes your dog can get some rash even if the hygiene is excellent. Skin rash can be an allergy, and allergies can be unrecognized deficiency disease. In this case, sometimes good diet can help. But, this is all “maybe” because I am not really sure what skin rash is about. 

Hi there. There are many things that you can do to prevent a rash or any skin related problem. I like to brag about how my dog never got a rash. His skin has been perfectly fine for the last 5 or 6 years.

All you need to do is to indentify substances that irritate his skin an avoid them. When it comes to dog shampoos and stuff you use to nurture his hair, make sure they’re all hypoallergenic.

It will also help if you include showering your dog pretty often using warm water instead of hot. Also try patting his skin dry instead of rubbing.

Fortunately, my corgi never had problems with skin rashes. I gave my best to protect him from fleas and ticks and took care about his allergies. He got all the vaccines he needed, and I wash him regularly. I picked the right kind of shampoo for him according to the vet’s advice.

The most important thing you can do to protect your canine friend is to pick a right kind of meal plan for him/her. You will need to consult with your vet to do this. Remember that you dog need enough nutrients in his meal.

I heard that vitamin E is great remedy for dog’s skin so I can recommend you to try it out. 

Hey. My boyfriend had the same problem with his dog, while I was not with them. His dog had some allergy, and it was food allergy, according to his vet. He told him that the only way to get rid of this is that he bathe his dog very often. Soothing bat will kill fleas on the dog, and that was exactly his problem. Beside, his dog had some skin irritation, and this bath made him feel more comfortable and less itchy.

So, he is changing his collars more frequently and he is giving him a bath more often.

Good luck!

My mom had a dog when she got divorced from my dad. She was alone, and she needed someone to be with her. But, since she didn’t know much about the dogs, she was feeding him like she wanted to. But, very soon, he had some rash on his skin, and it was from bad food. When she changed the food for him, rash just disappear and everything was OK. So, maybe it is about the food, maybe you should see how to change his menu.

Anyway, visiting vet is something that you should do. Maybe he has some other rash.

Good luck! 

It is very hard to prevent rashes. My dog has always had problems with his skin. I took him to the vet several times and he gave me all kinds of suggestions. He advised me to change his diet, he suggested I should take better care of his hygiene.  He even once told me to use this product that has aloe vera in it (it helps with skin rashes). But unfortunately nothing worked. My dog still has problems with his skin, he always has a rash on the same place and I’m starting to lose hope that it will ever disappear. 

Hello all. I don’t agree with Dog Whisperer that you can’t do much in order to prevent skin rash problems of your dog’s. In my opinion, you can do a lot of things and it is much better to prevent than to cure.

Another thing that I want to stress is the type of skin rash. I am very surprised that your vet didn’t tell you that.

The type of skin rash and its prevention depends on the cause of it. The most typical dog skin rashes are caused by some of these: environmental allergies, dog parasites (such as dog worms and dog lice), bacteria and food allergies.

Spoken in one sentence – proper hygiene and regular check-ups with veterinarian will protect your dog from skin rashes. Not completely (as nothing is absolute), but close enough.

You also need to pay attention to his allergies, as some dogs can be allergic to certain types of food, grooming products or flea bites.

I even had dog who had dandruff (just like myself, and for certain time I was blaming myself, thinking he got it from me), until veterinarian told me that it was connected to some kind of hormonal abnormality. That brought me a slight relief, but my dog needed long-term treatment. Luckily, he was cured, but some nasty scars remained.