We are hoping things will take a turn for the better! My husband had both hips replaced last week and is still in agonizing pain! His hips have swelled and keep swelling. He has had a slew of other setbacks that is leaving him with a loss of hope that this was the right decision for his genetic hip displasya. If anyone has comments on the intense swelling and acute pain!? He doesn't know if this is 'normal' when both hips are replaced, or something quite unusual! Help, any comments!? He is now on some kind of pain killer 'patch' with the option of adding Percaset is needed. He has also not had a good nights sleep since the surgery. We are wondering if he should leave Rehab on schedule if he is still having extreme pain!?!?!

Hi, I am 50 years and just had bi lateral hip. The first day or 2 I was getting blood transfusions. It was pure hell putting both feet on the ground and walking. After they transfered me to rehab it got alot easier. The thing that got me up was that I was not gonna have anyone wipe my butt for me. Sleeping was pretty easy afer they make you get up and dressed at rehab. Even the small things they make you do wear you out. Now 3 weeks is over with and I have very little pain and there are so many things I want to do but 90 degree etc. keeps me from it. Oh, did I mention that I had just had back surgery 1 month before. I also had another back surgery 6 months before that. Good luck.

Don't lose hope! I had bi-lateral total hip replacements last June a week after my 49th birthday. Pre-surgery, I was walking with a cane, pulled myself to standing with my arms and complained constantly. My knees, back, neck and feet hurt. There were days when the pain was so bad that I would tear up in the car when alone and wonder how I could continue on in that condition. Post-surgery, in the beginning, I had a dull ache all of the time and sharp pain in both hips whenever I stood up. Walking was sheer agony. I thought that I would never be able to sit or lay down comfortably again. I had many sleepless nights. There were certainly days when I felt that I had made a huge mistake in having the surgery. In those moments I remembered the absolute torture that I had endured over the past 3 1/2 years as my hip joints degenerated. I found the best physical therapist available and I worked hard. I managed the pain with a moderate amount of medication. I pushed myself to exercise but I was careful not to over do it. Every week I noticed small improvements. I could stand longer, walk a little faster and a little farther. Every month I noticed bigger improvements. I was sleeping through the night, my gait was returning to normal. I've definitely hit some low spots over the past 6 months but the gradual gains kept me going and gave me hope. Now, 6 months out, I'm back to riding my horse, walking 3 miles a day and I can cross my legs! I have some "clicks" and "snaps" here and there - I'm occasionally aware of my hip joints. In the end, I feel blessed and grateful that I have a new lease on life. I know that it will only get better and better. I must say that my surgeon is brilliant and I believe that his skill had much to do the my success. I wanted to share my positive story and give you reason to believe that there is hope for full recovery.