I am 19 years old and I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I have to say that I was quite surprised with it. Later I realized that I got it from my little niece. Can someone tell me more about it?

Scabies is a common skin infection. It causes small itchy bumps and blisters that are caused by tiny mites that burrow into the top layer of human skin. They lay their eggs that sometimes appear as short, wavy, reddish, or darkened lines on the skin's surface. Scabies is contagious, and is usually transmitted by skin-to-skin contact or through sexual contact with person who is infected. The infection spreads more easily in crowded conditions. The most common symptom of scabies is severe itching and infection begins as small, itchy bumps, blisters that break when you scratch them. Scabies infections need to be treated by a doctor, usually by prescribing a medicated cream or lotion to kill the mites. The cream will need to be applied to the skin all over the body. It usually must remain on the skin for 8 to 12 hours before it can be washed off. I hope that this was helpful.