this is getting to be a problem. I've had this for about a year but it never bothered me until now. My hands peel after every shower. its like the water lifts the top layer of my skin and kills it. It eventually dries and ends up feeling like callouses. Its really embarrassing shaking someones hand and I need help but have no health insurance.

here are some pictures.

What is this? What can I do?

Could it be Exfoliative keratolysis? It is a common skin condition in which there is focal peeling of the palms and less often the soles. It is also known as ‘keratolysis exfoliativa’, and ‘focal palmar peeling’.

Exfoliative keratolysis is more common during the summer months, and most often affects young adults.

The first sign is one or more superficial air-filled blisters on the fingers or palms. The blisters burst to leave expanding collarettes of scale and circular or oval, tender, peeled areas. These peeled areas lack a normal barrier function and may become red, dry and cracked. However, they are not generally itchy.

The symptoms are aggravated by exposure to irritants including water, soap, detergents and solvents. Eventually normal skin forms, but frequently exfoliative keratolysis recurs within a few weeks.

Sometimes on the ends of the fingers the split in the skin is deeper, in which case the skin feels hard and numb and takes longer to peel off.

Exfoliative keratolysis may precede pompholyx, an itchy form of eczema in which there are small fluid-filled blisters.

It can be confused with psoriasis, in which there are scaly patches or with tinea, but scrapings for fungal culture are negative.

Treatment
Exfoliative keratolysis does not improve with topical steroids, unlike hand dermatitis.

The following may be helpful:

Protection from irritants
Emollient hand creams especially those containing urea, lactic acid, or silicone
Photochemotherapy.

Sounds about right.

Can you give examples of those hand creams?

Also, is this curable?

I don't know if I am allowed to promote name products here. So, the best way to find them is do a search on Google for "Emollient hand creams containing urea lactic acid silicone ". I tied it and found urea and lactic acid hand creams.

Is it cureable? Good question. I really don't know. Sorry.

And good luck!

Could be an allergy to bromine or chlorine in the water commonly used as a disinfectant. Put a filtered shower head or similar on. 2 of my kids have this issue during times the water contains bromine