Last month (January) me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex for the first time on the 16th the day before her period was due to end and she ended up being late and she had it on the 30th. In between the time she took a pregnancy test six days after we had sex, it came back negative. Then again a few days later, also negative. Then she went to the doctors and she took another pregnancy test which come back negative and the doctor said it is almost certain that she is not pregnant, then a few days later she had her period. Happy Days.

But this is my new problem, we had unprotected sex again this month on the 9th Feb and I don't think I cummed inside her, if anything maybe a little bit of pre-ejaculate went inside her but nothing else. She took a pregnancy test on the 12th and it came back negative. All I'm wondering is what are the chances of her being pregnant and also when should she expect to start her period? I know people will probably say that it only takes one sperm and everything, but I just need a little bit of reassurance because I suffer from extreme anxiety and this is driving me insane. I know that pre-ejaculatory fluid does NOT contain sperm, but it can pick up sperm from the shaft that has been left there before from a previous ejaculation (unless the shaft has been cleared via urinating).

Please do reply to this post and give me all the information and/or support that you can because this is really getting on my nerves now and I would very much like the views of other people.

Thank you so much.

Dear Smithy

I'm a little confused by your comments.

"Last month ... me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex ... on the 16th the day before her period was due to end" So her period was due to end on 17th Jan. Assuming a 5-day period, her period was already 5 days late. Or did you mean her period was due to start on 17th Jan?

"she ended up being late and she had it on the 30th" So her period started 30th Jan, 18 or 13 days late.

"she took a pregnancy test six days after we had sex, it came back negative." That was to be expected - far too early. "Then again a few days later, also negative." Again, too early.

"we had unprotected sex again this month on the 9th Feb" Why keep having unprotected sex is you don't want her to get pregnant!

"I don't think I cummed inside her" But you are not sure? You must have been close then.

"if anything maybe a little bit of pre-ejaculate went inside"Only 'maybe'?

"She took a pregnancy test on the 12th and it came back negative." That was to be expected - far too early again

"All I'm wondering is what are the chances of her being pregnant." Slim chance of being pregnant only one week after sex.

"When should she expect to start her period?" About a fortnight after she ovulates. You have given no indication of her usual cycle length.

"I know people will probably say that it only takes one sperm and everything" No, it only takes one sperm - that's all it takes.

"I suffer from extreme anxiety and this is driving me insane" So why have unprotected sex???

"I know that pre-ejaculatory fluid does NOT contain sperm" UK research has indicated otherwise. It has shown that some men always have sperm present; some men never do.

"it can pick up sperm ... from a previous ejaculation (unless the shaft has been cleared via urinating)" That is true

If she has a 28-day cycle, she could well have ovulated 13th Feb, so 9th Feb would have been a fertile day, but she would not be pregnant yet. Implantation takes place several days after ovulation. However if she ovulates a week later (20th Feb) 9th Feb would be in a non-fertile period.

Dear Shepherd,

No I mean that she normally starts on the 12th of each month and she finishes (bleeds out) on the 17th of each month.

No, she bled out on the 30th of January, I do not know when she came on.

I have no idea about periods or anything like that so I cannot tell you any information regarding her usual cycle length, but all I want to know is what are the chances of her getting pregnant? Also when should we expect her to come on her period? Because last night she had some very bad pains that she thought was her period, but because it hasn't been 28 days yet since her last period it confused us a little.

P.S. When you say "Ovulation", is that another way of saying "coming on" your period, in a sense?

Dear Smithy

The chances of her getting pregnant are closely relate to her monthly cycle, but anytime you have sex there is the risk of pregnancy. You need to find out about her periods. It is irresponsible to have sex without understanding the implications.

1. A monthly cycle is taken as being from the start of one period bleed to the start of the next, and the cycle days are counted from the period bleed start (Day 1).
  2. Typically a woman's cycle is 28 days, but varies from woman to woman, and some are regular, and some irregular. Even women who are usually regular can sometimes have a different length of cycle.
  3. Ovulation is the critical date. This is when the ovaries release an egg, and usually happens once a monthly cycle'.
  4. With a 28-day cycle it would be likely to happen on 15th Cycle Day (CD 15), and the egg is viable for only about a day (maybe 2).
  5. Sperm can live in a woman's body for up to 5-6 days, so she is considered fertile on ovulation day and the preceding 5 days (CD 10-15).
  6. If the egg is fertilised in her fallopian tubes, then it will need to implant into her womb this could take place on CD 24 (+/- 3 days). That is when pregnancy occurs.
  7. If implantation does not occur, then the womb's preparation for pregnancy is no longer needed and it is discharged. That is her period bleed. It would then start the day after CD 28, and typically lasts for 5 days.
  8. If she ovulates a number of days later than anticipated, then the cycle days increase by that number of days. If she ovulates a number of days earlier than anticipated, then the cycle days decrease by that number of days.
  9. So if she ovulates on CD 17, she is fertile on days 12-17, implantation (pregnancy) would be expected on CD 26 (+/-3), and her period would be expected (if not pregnant) the day after CD 30.

I hope this helps

Dear Shepherd,

First of all thank you for repying to me, you are helping me a lot and I fully understood. All I want to know is because she would start to ovulate on CD 15, would there be a slim chance of her getting pregnant given that she last bled out on January 30th and we had sex on CD 11 I think (9th Feb)? When should she expect to come on her period? Also should I be as worried as I am being?

Eery woman is different, so without her dates it is difficult to predict. But let me present some scenarios

• If she finished her period so that her last day of bleeding was 30th Jan, than if she had a 5-day period, that day would be CD 5. So that assumes CD 1 was 26th Jan: her period start. 9th Feb would then be CD 15, which would be her ovulation day with a 28-day cycle.
  • If she only had a 3-day period, then 30th Jan would be CD 3, and 9th Feb would be CD 13, so a very fertile day with a 28-day cycle.
  • If she ovulated 4 days later (that means a 4-day longer cycle), then 9th Feb would be before her fertile time with a 3-day period.
  • If she ovulated 6 days later (that means a 6-day longer cycle), then 9th Feb would be before her fertile time with a 5-day period. With a 3-day period and a 28-day cycle she could expect her period 25th Feb With a 5-day period and a 28-day cycle she could expect her period 23rd Feb

I understand. She normally has a 3 day period and she starts on the 17th of each month and usually finishes bleeding out on the 20th of each month but last month she finished bleeding out on the 30th so does that mean she's 10 days late on her cycle? What does that mean and also is it good?

17th to 20th is four days. 17, 18, 19, & 20, but on the basis you described, she would have started 27th Jan.  If she usually has a period on 17th of every month it indicates that she has a 30 or 31 day period. All months except February have 30/31 days, and all those except April, June, September & November which have only 30 days. That indicates ovulation on 12th or 13th Feb , so 9th Feb would have been a fertile day. However, we haven't discovered why her period was late in January. Anything different health-wise? If her ovulation was delayed by about 3 (or more) days, then 9th Feb would not be likely to have been a fertile day. So its a close call.

We don't know why it was late, the doctor said it could have been because it was her first time having sex or it could have been anxiety/stress related. I hope this gives you a better image. I really hope she wasn't fertile on the day. Another question, if she wasn't fertile on the day, because semen can live inside for 5-7 days, could she still get pregnant?

I don't know why it would be because it was the "first time having sex " but I understand "it could have been anxiety/stress related".
The 'fertile days' are reckoned by taking account of sperm survival. The egg is only viable for a day or so (ovulation day), but sperm has to be in the fallopian tubes on the day, or during the previous 5 days. So with sex on 9th the sperm could be waiting to fertilise from 9th to 14th. If she ovulated in that period, the egg could get fertilised.
The assessments of when these reproductive system events take place are based on scientific observation. There is no guarantee that an individual woman will fit the pattern. Unless there is strict monitoring of the woman's cycle, the conclusions are speculative, You own example shows how thing may not always conform to pattern is her last period, which was 10 days later than expected. This indicates that she probably ovulated 10 days later than expected. Therefore her fertile days shifted 10 days from what would have been expected.

I understand. So from what I've told you do you think that the 9th was a fertile day or not? Sorry for asking loads of questions, but has her cycle moved back 10 days too?

I would imagine that her next period will be about the 27th Feb, unless the stress delays it (or she gets pregnant). From what you have said, I would guess that 9th Feb was a fertile day having ovulated about 13th, but there are so many uncertainties.
It's OK asking questions. Maybe your girlfriend could sign in and chat also.

She should come on on the 27th? I really hope she does. Do you think that she is pregnant from what I've said? Also when will be the best time for her to take another pregnancy test? Thank you for the quick replies, I really appreciate it.

That is on the basis that her usual 17th start has shifted 10 days having returned to the previous cycle. The best time to take a home test is after the period has failed to materialise. If her period has not arrived by 1st March, then I would take a test on 2nd March. If the result is negative, then there is a good chance by then that she will not be pregnant

Thank you for replying to my messages, I'll let you know what happens by writing another message on here in a week or two. Just a quick question I don't know if you'll be able to answer, but I'm 17 and my girlfriend is 16 in just under a month. Her mother and step-father both have said that they would never even dream of telling the authorities about what has happened, but will the NHS? I'm just worried that I'll be going to prison or something. I know the NHS will only tell any authorities about it if they think that their patient has been assaulted and my girlfriend went to the doctors last month when her period was late and the doctor spoke to her and her mother and she was very nice about it. I'm just a little nervous and if she is pregnant, what options will we have?

Thank you