I have suffered from vasculitis in the past, though I have now, thankfully, gone into remission. My husband and I would like to try for a baby in the near future. I will go for a check up with an OB before we start trying to conceive, but my OB probably will not have all thr right info about vasculitis. So I am hoping you can help. What chance is there that the vasculitis could come back in pregnancy?

Women with active vasculitis are strongly discouraged from getting pregnant, as statistics show that both maternal and fetal outcomes are much less favorable. Now that you are in remission, you should be able to try to get pregnant with no problems. You will need to go for prenatals more often though. Your blood pressure will need to be closely monitored throughout pregnancy, and especially in labor, as intracerebral hemorrhage may occur. MRI scanning is something that you should look into before you conceive, to conform that you are indeed in remission. I hope it all works out for you!

OK, that doesn’t sound too bad. If I go for regular monitoring, my pregnancy need not be any more complicated than any other pregnancy – that is what you are saying, right? What I would also like to know is whether I should consider an elective caesarean if labor is that much of a risk. Do you happen to have any information about that? Also, remission has already been confirmed, so why do I need the MRI scan?