I'm looking for an awesome self tanner to give me that extra boost in the winter. I've got darker, olive skin and I have never, ever used a self tanner before. I'm just feeling like I need a little something extra this year though, and would really love to look great in a strapless dress at the upcoming new year's party at my office! Needless to say, I am after something that wows in a good way and not a bad way, so no streaks please! Oh, and also nothing that rubs off on clothes. I'm willing to spend a little more to get that great look.

Cheers!

I'm brown too... probably a lot darker than you. I use self tanners to even out my skin tone, not necessarily to achieve darker skin. I like Jergens natural glow express best. It works optimally when you actually take the time to exfoliate your skin and to shave your legs and arms before using it. This way, your skin's old layer will be removed and you will get the most even result possible. One thing you will want to watch out for is not getting a darker and horrible looking tan on your hands, which you use to apply the self tanner. Make sure to scrub them (including your nails) too before you start applying it, and then wash them very regularly throughout the process of applying the tan.

So, I'm so light I glow in the dark, yeah? Course I've used self tanners in the past, not with very good results. I'd assume that the real bad stuff like weird patches and orange skin won't actually show up on darker skin. Then again, I was seriously wondering why people that got naturally darker skin would want to put a self tanner on! You know what I mean? It seemed pointless to me. So... for more even skin tone. That makes all the sense in the world, thanks for enlightening (get it!? haha) me. Anyways, St Tropez is the one everyone talks about so perhaps you could check that out?

When I have wanted a self tan, Xen-Tan Dark Lotion Rich Self Tan has been the product of my choice. Its olive undertones make it perfect for my skin, and you can see the results you will achieve as you apply it, which is without a doubt the best feature of this product. It also moisturizes as it tans. In my experience, results can last about a week. I have been very satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone with olive skin. I do not think it would work on lighter skin, but perhaps it would also be a good choice for people with slightly darker skin tones.

Celebrity

I am fair-skinned, so perhaps not in a place to comment, but it is interesting to see that there are a fair number of blog posts around the subject of self tanners for people who are darker-skinned. Many say it either evens their skin tone or gives them a nice glow when summers is about to start. I personally do not like self tan products and think they are just another way in which companies try to make us part with our money. Skin lightening treatments are the same, in fact, unless used for hyperpigmentation.

I often wish we could all see ourselves as beautiful just the way we are. It took me a long time to accept my exceptionally light skin as beautiful too, but I am there now, even when I look like a ghost. Very light skin was trendy a while ago, just as everything is trendy sometimes and then everyone else tries to emulate that. We're all amazing the way we are, though. 

Rosie

To the person who recommended XEN-TAN, thank you very much! I looked it up and found XEN-TAN Dark Lotion Weekly Tan on Amazon, which is the most convenient way to get it. The amazing thing is that all the reviews are very positive, which is always a great sign!

The only thing I am concerned about, and only slightly, is that most of those happy customers seemed to be light skinned, with some of them saying they are very light. OK, they all said that the XEN-TAN Dark Lotion Weekly Tan did not give them orange skin, which again is great, but I am hoping it will work for my darker skin too. I am about to add it to my cart anyway.

I didn't find what I was looking for in time for the New Year, by the way, but I did use a shimmering lotion which may me look really festive, and I had a great time.

I have used Karamel & Brown and it works fine and really evens my skin out as long as I prep well in advance. That is something you should never skip. You need to shave in advance, like a day before, and scrub every area of your body where you are going to apply the ran very well a few times prior to using it. Never use any other product on your skin before you apply the tan because this WILL cause uneven results. That means take a shower before you apply the tan. Then, consistently use body lotion to prolong the effect and avoid uneven patches from forming.