I'm writing about this to ask if warts are really contagious. When I was a child I had them. I had them at different times during the course of my childhood. My mother took me to the doctor each time and each time I was told they were harmless and were not contagious. They would give me medicine but it didn't help. Eventually the warts went away by themselves. Once I had warts for a few months and then they were gone. At one point I was getting warts like crazy and I had the last wart for five years. At one point I was thirteen years old and I had this friend who every time I talked to her or her mother she was sick with some cold, sore throat or swollen glands. She would have this every month for several years. But one day she got warts and the next I know her family was very angry at me because as far as they were concerned I passed them to her. For the three years I have known her she never complained about warts and then suddenly she she had them and complained that I gave them to her. And their doctor said they were contagious and she should have them frozen. This ended the friendship and I was treated by her as an invisible wart monster. Today I had this conversation with my husband and he asked the same question, "Is this contagious?" After telling him it is not, I went to the website and found out it could be spread by sharing towels, touching hands or touching various parts of the body and it is a HPV virus. This really upsets me from the far cry that my old pediatrician told my parents and if I had known about how warts were in this regard then, I could have done something to better protect myself from this ex-friend's anger at me for giving her warts. Also it mentions that it could take months or years for the warts to disappear, which is what happened to me. So if it does take months or years to disappear then how can they be contagious and what can be done to preclude some problems with other people in the future if I should ever get them again? Or if I ever have children what should be done to help them? I'm sorry but sometimes I feel I always have to defend myself to people who never have had this problem and were told by doctors that they were contagious.

dont think there contagious

Hi Fran, it depends on what is causing the wart but under some circumstances they actually CAN be contagious. If they are, then they can obviously be spread to other people. Can you go to the doctor and get one tested? That would be what I'd recommend. What do you think?