Just curious and thought this'd make for a fun topic! I think I was 12, might even have been younger. I started off by "stealing" my mum's, just like I guess everyone else did... and then wanting to wear really badly applied lipstick and that dreadful bright blue eye shadow to school and my mum telling me noooooo, you can't go out like that, LOL. Then I went gothic for a while and that involved lots of makeup, but not the kinds my mum had laying about so I started getting my own. What about you, guys? What age were you when you started off wearing makeup and what bits and pieces did you start off with?

Fun thread!

My mother would not allow me to start wearing makeup until I was 16. I occasionally sneaked some from a friend who had a lot of makeup at home and then had fun wearing it around for a while only to have to take it all off before going home, which was sometimes a drag and rather hard!

When I have kids, I am thinking if I have a girl I will teach her how to apply makeup and allow her to play around with it all she likes. There is no harm in makeup! I was always jealous of friends whose moms let them experiment and bond over makeup together. It is certainly something that can bring people together, just a lot of harmless fun.

You know what? I don't remember. No matter how hard I think back, I really don't remember when I first started wearing makeup. I was definitely wearing it by 16 though, on a daily basis and often far too much of it, and badly applied too! That's a stage most of us go through I guess. I'm 21 now and since getting into fitness, I'm wearing much less of it. I don't know... it just seems like makeup fits into my lifestyle less now and if I have spare time I'd rather not spend it in front of the mirror. You know? I do go for makeup on special occasions obviously but even there a little goes a long way.

Cool topic! I actually think I started using makeup before I was even 9. My mom used to let me play around with it. Now I'm 14, I'm happy my mom let me play with makeup. It helped me learn how to use it. I like to watch videos on Youtube about makeup because Youtube helps me learn a lot about how to apply makeup and what makeup is good. Since my mom let me use it when I was younger I'm a bit better at applying it than my mates. I used to love pink makeup and I still do! I also like purple makeup. 

I've read blog posts about what others think of what makeup should be worn at what age, and I disagree with most of them. My general opinions are like this:

Preteens: They get to go crazy! Lipstick all over the place, glittery pink eyeshadow, bold blush - it's all a game, right? The only thing I don't like is those pageant queens with their fake nails and lashes. That stuff is bad for the health of these girls. Glue and acryllic? Nah! But having fun with (cheap) makeup pallets? Why on earth not?

Teens: Social impression starts mattering and more makeup does unfortunately tend to convey false ideas about them being more interested in dating and so on. I think keeping it subtle makes sense, or at least choosing what to really make pop. Not lips and eyes, but one or the other. Teens should also respect dress codes at school. But for a special occasion? Yes!!! Have at it, as long as you can apply it properly!

OK, when I was in my late teens I experimented with mascara, eyeshadow, and blusher. Because I used to be very pale. I am the kind of person who puts her hands in her face all the time so I used to smudge it all and look ridiculous, like something Robert Smith out of the Cure. So I quickly stopped doing that, and felt better the natural way anyway. However, now I am getting older I am getting all red faced and when I go out I sometimes like to use BB cream. I bought this blusher and I occasionally put that on as well but very rarely. And once when I put the BB cream on my neighbor said, what's wrong with you, you look really pale! That put me off a bit.

Ooh, I really don't remember. Actually, I remember the first time I ever put on lipstick quite well. I must have been around 10 I think, and my mom and dad were taking my sisters and I to a fancy restaurant. My mom was applying lipstick in the car and I asked if I could have some too. She said yes and gave me the lipstick and a mirror. My dad said I was a natural when I was doing the bottom lip, then I totally messed up the top lip!

After that... high school, for sure, but I don't remember the exact age or even what makeup I used to apply. All I know is that I have tons now!