My anus started itching slightly a few weeks ago, and I didn't think much about it. It slowly got worse, and now it wakes me up in the middle of the night. I tried preparation H, but it seems better when I just put a bit of moisterizing lotion on.

The skin surrounding my anus is slightly puffy and is a little lighter in color. There's no blood in my stool or anything, that's why I don't think it's hemorrhoids.

What can this be? I can't take time off to go to a walk in clinic for another week due to exams. :-(

Anal itching is a common ailment. The main symptom is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum (anus) causing the desire to scratch. The intensity of the itching increases from moisture, pressure and sitting, causing intolerable discomfort accompanied by burning and soreness.
Anal itching can be caused by irritating chemicals in food, such as, spices, hot sauces and peppers.
Another problem that could be the cause is PINWORMS, HEMORROIDS and tears of the anal skin known as FISSURES.
If you suspect PINWORMS, you will have to see your Doctor for confirmation. He will treat you accordingly. In many instances, PINWORMS will make their way thru the rest of the people living in your home. The Doctor may want to treat everyone.
One pill is given, once.