Hey there. Today, I was talking with my friend. She asked me if I can take care of her dog, Lucy, because she needs to go to another town, because her mom is sick. I accepted this. But, later she told me that her dog has parvovirus and that she will explain me how to take care of her. I am so sorry to hear that her dog is sick, and of course that I will take care of her.

I was thinking a little bit about this, and I was wondering what are the causes of parvovirus in dogs? 

Hey, Yes, this is something that attacks the dogs. About your question, canine parvovirus is caused by infection with CPV. All dogs are at the same risk of developing canine parvovirus, especially puppies. I don’t know how old is your friend’s dog, but it attacks puppies less than 4 months old, and all those dogs that have not been vaccinated against the virus. Well, those dogs are in the risk for this bad infection or virus. Those are two main causes. Dogs in pet stores, in shelters are also at the risk….Take care of him, listen what she is going to tell you about this case.

Well, it’s a virus. There is no rule. It attacks all dogs, there is no special cause needed. What causes getting this virus is the contact with the infected dog. Or not even with the dog, it could be with the feces of the infected dog.

It does attack puppies more, simply because they are more vulnerable.

What can be considered as a cause (not exactly a cause, but it sure contributes to caching this virus) is low immune system. That is why puppies younger that 4 months are in danger. Their immune system is not yet fully formed.

That’s why puppies need to be vaccinated against this virus, at early age.

Have your friend said anything about walking the Lucy? You should be careful because, as you already read, she can infect other dogs. You need to stay away from them and clean after Lucy all the time.

The most important part is to tell your friend to get Lucy vaccinated regularly after she recovers from the parvovirus.

I really hope she consulted with vet before starting Lucy’s treatment. Do you know anything about that? It would be nice if you can take Lucy to the vet to check the state of her parvo, just in case.

Don’t think I have a grudge against your friend; just want to help you a bit.

Hello.

It is something that attack all dogs and there are no rules about this. I have very painful experience with it. Parvo attacked my dog when he was only 3 months old, and I know that this is my fault. I didn’t vaccinated my dog, because I didn’t have any experience and I wanted to have a puppy. It was so painful experience for me, because I could see that he is in pain. But, for you, since you don’t know a lot about it, it is a big experience. And you really should talk more with your friend, ask her everything that you want to know.

Hello guys.

Well, the name of this disease speaks for itself. The cause of parvovirus is virus of course. :)

The first step of getting infected by parvovirus is contact with the virus. That  could be with the dog that already has parvovirus and that is the most common way of getting it. This virus is highly transferable from dog to dog.

The second step is “ the fight” between dog’s white  blood cells which are “guardians of health” and virus. Because this kind of virus is really strong, just the dogs with extremely efficient immune system will manage to defeat it. Unfortunately, that is really rare. 

This virus is caused by infection with CPV, usually, CPV-2a or CPV-2b. 

The most common way of CPV-2 infection is by ingestion. Transplacental transmission is also possible. CPV-2 then transfers in mesenteric , oropharyngeal and thymic lymphoid tissue.

The virus is been distributed to intestinal epithelial cells , bone marrow and kidney.  When those tissues are infected, that leads to clinical signs from day 4 post-infection.

Virus is present in feces only 3 days after inoculation.

I really hate this virus. Once I witnessed a puppy die because of it.  It’s weird she aked you to take care of her dog now when she needs her the most.

Hey. I think that everything is pretty much clear in here. It is a virus, and you can never tell who is going to be attacked. Usually, parvo attack puppies, but that is not the rule. Older dogs can be attacked as well. I remember when my friend lost her dog, she was Golden Retriever, and she was only 2 months old. She didn’t vaccinated her as well and when she went to see the vet it was too late. He just couldn’t do anything. So, vaccine is the first option always, please don’t forget about that. This is the most important.