I have been having for some 3 weeks pain in my upper center stomach area every time after eating some 2 to 3 hrs later, so I had my blood work tested and the result was ALT levels of 892.
Also shown is high colestrol levels and well as low red blood count.
Last week cant keep any solids down, and lost about 20+ lbs
Is there any indication of what all could be wrong?
Im getting some what worried, should I be getting morectesting done?
Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon,

Your results are very high, a more normal ALT reading would be about 50. This usually indicates a viral infection, acute hepatitis. This would also explain your weight loss. What was the RBC?

Did they run a full liver panel on you? I would expect you to have had more testing.

Hi there,

I have had the same issue and was taken into hospital as the pain was that bad.  My ALT level was 800 and was tested for everything under the sun, Gallstones, Hepititus A through to E......  This was in December 2010 and now the doctors still do not know what was or is wrong.  My ALT level has come down but keeps fluctuating slightly above the normal level. I think I must have had a very very bad reaction to a virus.  I had an MRI scanwhich came back fine. Whilst in hospital I also couldn't keep anything down.  I had weekly blood tests for about 3 months, I hope the docs are doing the same with you.

I had pretty much the same symptoms (including ALT and AST of 950 and 550) and it turned out that I had a 2cm gallstone that was blocking the duct, causing a backup of bile into the liver.