Do you think it’s possible to run with a backpack? I wouldn’t like to stop running during the winter and in order to be completely equipped for such an adventure I’ll have to bring another pair of running shoes and other things necessary for such an adventure. Are there special backpacks that are designed for running? Do you have experience with winter running?

I usually don’t run in the winter because I once fell on the ice and broke my arm. I don’t know if there are backpacks especially designed for running, but I wore the regular one when I run, and I just tightened its straps. I can’t say it’s comfortable but since you’re not going to put anything too heavy in it, it’s possible to run with a backpack on. A for the winter running I’d like to add that you should wear luminous colors in order to improve your visibility, so that car devices can easily spot you. Another important thing is to wear appropriate clothing. It would be good if you could buy a navigating device, since in winter everything looks the same and you may go astray.

It is certainly possible to run with a backpack, but it was not comfortable when I tried it. I don't know which was worse, the bouncing or the sweating on my back. After some experimentation, I found that a messenger bag works much better. It hangs by your side, so it causes no localized sweating. Also, by adjusting the strap length to work with your cadence and running mechanics, there is no bouncing, either. And because it is at your side instead of behind you, it is easy to remove or stow gloves, flashlight or a cap while you are running. Just make sure the strap is cotton and not nylon, or it may ruin your microfiber running shirts.

My commute to work consists of a 4 mile run, 12 mile train ride, and 2 mile bus ride. The commute home is the same in reverse. I keep a jacket and pants in the messenger bag to wear on the bus and train. (I store clothes and food for the week at work ahead of time.) I run throughout the winter, but it never gets below freezing here in Southern California.