Hello. Last year I found out I am allergic to some food. I can’t really figure out which food exactly, but I have my guesses. For example I discovered on my own I am definitely allergic to lactose. Everybody feels sorry for me when my body reacts to some types of food. I am actually handling it pretty good. Everybody always suggests I should do a food challenge test. Which I probably will. Last week I was at my yoga class and some woman was telling me about her little daughter that is also allergic to some foods. She said to me that I should try food challenge test or to start following Elimination diet. Does anyone have any idea how are those two connected?

Elimination diet is a dietary experiment. It is specially convenient for people who suffer from food allergies. These allergies can cause many different problems and elimination diet finds the solution in eliminating or removing foods that might be causing a problem.

It functions something like this: it eliminates different types of food and then it reintroduces them in order to see body reactions to it.

It has the same purpose as food challenge tests but they say it is more reliable and also less inexpensive.

If you decide to try this diet, I would advise you to remove gluten, corn, dairy, soy, eggs, pork, beans, beef, chicken, coffee and citrus fruits. At least.

Mad_Hatter you are right. Elimination diet offers you everything that a food challenge test offers you, and more. Despite the fact that there are so many food allergy tests currently available, the elimination diet is still very popular and it certainly remains the gold standard when you are trying to indentify food sensitivities.

It does have some flaws, but again so do the allergy tests. The main pro of it is that you are doing it, not some lab, so it is way more reliable. And also you will experience the results first-hand, that might be a better way to stimulate yourself to make some dietary changes than a lab test.