Hello. I am considering trying Elimination diet. I heard it is very good. It is supposed to increase one’s immune system and improve organism’s ability to fight diseases. I’ve always been very susceptible to viruses and colds. I never achieved being in a room with a person who has a virus and not catching it. And the worst thing is – My brother catches a virus, it lasts for 3 or 4 days. Through that time he is perfectly capable of eating, going out etc. I get it from him, it lasts for 15 days, I can’t get out of my bed to pee. Anyway, I was planning to start with this diet, and I was wondering what are the main benefits of it?

Elimination diet is all about finding the foods that you should avoid. But its benefits go far beyond that.

One of the main benefits of this diet is that it improves your digestion. Following elimination diet can also lead to improvements in immune function, mood, and excessive digestive inflammation.

It is not a bad idea for people who have IBS or IBD to try this diet. It may help them.

And another great effect of this diet is a clean skin. That’s right, it will clear up every unwanted pimple on your skin and it will make it smooth and spotless.

It really benefits your skin? I had no idea. That is treat. I’ve always had problems with my skin my entire life. Ever since I was a little girl. My mom was always saying that it is a puberty thing and that my skin will become clearer when I finish my high school. But it never did. :/

I am definitely trying this diet. Maybe my skin will react well to it.

But improving my immune system still remains the main reason for me to try this diet. I could really use some improvement in that field.

Lillian_50 thank you for all the helpful information.

Hello everyone.  I saw that you are talking about my favorite diet so I thought I should pop in. I don’t have IBD (nor did I ever have any food allergies)  but I’ve always had troubles with my bowels. My doctor says that the reason is I get stressed out a lot and my bowels react badly to the stress.

I found this diet on the internet and when I read a few articles about it, it became clear to me that this diet fits me perfectly.

It helped my bowels and my digestion a lot. I feel a lot better now.

A friend of mine was on this diet. She has ulcerative colitis, so she decided to try this diet in order to find out which foods is she sensitive to. She began by restricting all kinds of foods( dairy products, gluten, lactose, soya…) for 23 days. After that she started reintroducing those products to see if her body will react to it. This wasn’t so much useful for her because when she is in the remission, her body doesn’t react to the food as it would in the active phase of the illness. That is why she couldn’t conclude which foods she should avoid.

But she said she is glad she tried this diet because her skin problems disappeared.

And I forgot to mention, she said that while she was on this diet, she didn’t have any problems she usually has with her bowels. I suppose those foods do not contribute to the inflammation of the bowels and they are also easy to digest. It may be an options for those who suffer from these diseases or food allergies- you should follow this diet until the symptoms disappear. Later on, you will come to the point where you can figure out which of those foods there is no reason to avoid, by reintroducing them to your daily menu. Hope this helps.