Hello. I have some problems with my digestion.

It looks like I am sensitive to some types of food. I can’t really figure out which food does this to me, but it makes my belly become like a balloon, it is often bloated and gassy. I hate when that happens. It is happening very often lately and I am too lazy to do a food allergy test.

My mother’s friend suggested I should try The Elimination diet, and I think the idea is great. It will certainly help. It can’t hurt right?

Do you happen to know does this diet have any unpleasant side effects?

Well I am not familiar with any of the side effects, I did not read about them anywhere, but I can assure you they exist. I believe you know how an elimination diet functions. You exclude dairy, gluten, vegetables, soy, sugar, legumes etc. Now the idea of you lacking some important nutrients because of these restrictions is just common sense. And the lack of those nutrients depends on how long you are following Elimination diet. The longer you follow it, the greater are the chances your body will lack some important minerals and vitamins. You may want to take some multivitamin supplement while on this diet to reduce those deficiencies. 

Everything you said is true. But that is not a serious side effect since the damage ( if it is made) can be repaired quickly after the diet is done.

I followed this diet and I didn’t have any major side effects. If I must choose one, that would be less socializing (and that entails a lot of other things). I remember I was missing out all the family lunches, dinners with my friends, barbeques in the nature… That affected my mental health a little since I felt I was too restricted and limited.  

Besides that, everything was fine and the diet really helped me.

I believe the inevitable side effect of Elimination diet is deprivation. This diet is so restrictive. It eliminates so many groups of food. You are forbidden to eat dairy, grains, soy and even some fruits and vegetables. There is a period when you can eat only few kinds of food and that can make you feel very deprived.

It really takes a lot of willpower and determination to do this. And that’s not even enough, you have to find the time to prepare your food and plan your meals.  

To sum it up, if you really want to follow this program, get used to the fact it is going to be hard.