Hi! I've never really ran before. All of my siblings have been distance runners, but i never got into it that much! But now, for some reason I just want to run. As crazy as it sounds I just put on my shoes and run. BUT, I can't run that far! So here are my questions:

What is the best and fastest way to be able to do long distance? How often can I run (or try to) a day?

I always get a pain in my right trapezius. I know it's a "lactic acid" build up cause that muscle always has a knot in it (it's where i carry my stress) what is the best way to get rid of it? And the more I work at it.... will it go away?

Thank you SOOOOO much for your help! I can't wait to get my run on!!

Unfortunately, I'm not the best person to be able to answer your questions. I can only speak from experience and I say that when I began running I started with an easy distance that I could handle and slowly, each week pushed myself to go a bit farther. I did not want to get an injury or try to do too much right away. I found that it didn't take me long to add on the miles.

summer is right, it wont take long for you to start adding up the miles (given you stick with it). i have always read/experienced that the best way to start is with a program similar to what is listed on this page. basically do a walk/run for 15 minutes with a 10 min walking warm up and a 5 min walking cool down....and dont forget to stretch!!!!

as far as the pain in your shoulder, learn to relax while you run. i know it seems strange, but trust me, relax and enjoy the ride. heck, if you can just shut your brain down for about 30mins everyday, you will be good to go. if that doesnt work out for you, try a massage (if you prefer the natural way), or you can try out something like GNC's DOMS Ease (if you prefer meds). either way should work out for you.

take it easy
ryan