I have been having this problem with my feet falling asleep while running. its from my toes on up to the arch. bought some new shoes 2 months ago and this is when the feet started falling asleep. Tried lacing my shoes diffirent it helped some but is still a problem. running a half in may and dont want to have this problem when it comes around. Any advice would be great! :D Thanks Anita

Have you tried mixing up the surfaces you run on? Get on some trails, grass, gravel? And how about switching out the insoles of your shoes? For me, I toss the 'sock liner' that comes with all my running shoes and get a pair of Sof Sole Arch-plus insoles... they're wonderful. They do add some thickness inside your shoe, so if it's too much volume, I've also used Dr Scholls Advantage Arch 3/4 length insoles too and they do the trick.
A couple other things you might want to do on occasion to strengthen the tendons in your arch/bottom of your feet; one is to 'clench' a towel with your bare toes. Do that for a few minutes here and there to give your toes a 'workout'. Also, do some barefoot running from time to time. What I've done on rare runs is to find a grassy park and just run barefoot for 10-15 minutes. The park I use is a sliding hill in the winter and I've done some barefoot hill intervals to give my feet some varying terrain, angles and pace to strengthen.

I think if you find you alter some of the surfaces, insoles and foot strength, one of those or a combination of, will correct the imbalance that is causing the numbness/falling asleep.

Thanks I will have to try it. :D

I have the same problem when I'm on an eliptical trainer - anyone know what could cuase that? I think I might be leaning forward too far, but it's my whole foot that starts to tingle...

Maybe your shoes are tied too tight? :shrug: But oddly enough now that you mention the elliptical problem I remember having that problem also. I usually just dealt with it and didn't let it effect my workout. I never figured it out and when I ran during the same workout I didn't have a problem.... :|

I've had the same problem before, starts with my little toes and spreads across and up my foot.
Things that have worked for me:
- I wear shoes with wide toeboxes, and buy up 1-1.5 sizes from street shoes.
- metatarsal pad placed under the insert - seems counterintuitive, but gives your toes more room
- make sure I'm hydrated - don't know why, but I can always tell when I'm not drinking enough water
- have a doc check you out for Morton's Neuroma
Good luck - it's painful and frustrating!