I heard that carbohydrates are very important for your health. Since I am beginning to pay attention to my diet I would like to know something about the important input of carbohydrates. How much is enough and what kind of carbohydrates should I take? I understand that there are different kinds of carbohydrates.

You are correct in assuming that there are different types of carbs. Basically they can be divided into two groups: simple sugars and complex carbs. The first group is made of fructose, glucose, sucrose, lactose and some other simple carbs. Maltodextrin is a typical complex carbohydrate representative. Also, all starches belong to this group too. Your diet should contain mostly complex carbs found in whole grain cereals, pastry and vegetables. Simple sugars that are good for you can be found in fruits and honey. As for the quantity, it depends on your calorie expenditure and level of physical activity. Generally your diet should consist of 15% of protein (25% for bodybuilders), 20% of good fats (polyunsaturated cold pressed oils) and 65% of carbs. This is a general division and various ratios are applied to the specific body demands.