Hi, I have a flushed face after any physical activity that needs a bit more energy and effort. I know it is so normal, but I look like so red. Is it related to any medical condition?

Hi, I also get red in my face after I run for a while to catch a bus, or need to hurry somewhere over the stairs or alike. I don’t do any sport, so I relate it to my insufficient physical activity, or in other words my body ids not used to it. I suppose it is not so good to have such a big amount of blood suddenly going to the brain, but I suppose it is happening as brain needs more energy to function properly in this stress condition. But, since this doesn’t effect my health I stopped worrying about it. I am always promising myself I would start some exercises or jogging but I never really do, so there is no real possibility for improving my physical abilities.

I've had this problem all of my life and I did gymnastics for 10 years. There would be times people thought I was about to pass out or something due to it but a doctor once told me that it was my bodys way of perspiring.

When I exercise recently, or when I had anesthesia for cosmetic surgery two years ago, my face was red on one-half only -- right down the center from the top of my head, across the center of my nose, mouth, and chin. I mentioned it to my surgeon at the time, but he just kind of shrugged his shoulders, "like no big deal, of maybe I don't know."
However, when walking recently and getting winded, I looked in the mirror and noticed my face is the same one-half red, while the other side looked normal.
I have an asymptomatic mitral valve prolapse, and asthma, but am wondering if this could be due to a partially clogged artery in my neck perhaps?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Linda H.

I have the same condition. I noticed it for the first time when I was in my late twenties. I am now 41. The couple times I have mentioned this to a GP, they did not seem too worried about this.

In response to two points raised the previous post:
- I have a mitral valve prolapse as well.
- I recently had a carotid artery / stroke screening done on my neck as part of a broader set of routine ultra-sound vascular tests, and my results came back totally normal.

I have done a bit more research and this seems to be called Harlequin syndrome.

Article is at:
jkms.kams.or.kr/2005/pdf/04329.pdf