I am 13 5"9 and 146lbs and very sporty but would like to gain more muscle

It depends on what you actually want to achieve? Are you looking to gain mass or defines muscles, or perhaps the best of two worlds?

To answer your question, weight lifting will give you muscles. But you need to be aware that proper nutrition is also the key to bodybuilding. I'm not talking about supplements like steroids, creatine, proteins or any other powdered stuff. I'm just saying you need to make sure you eat enough proteins through food.

Also, do you have a plan on your workout or?

Hey Luke,

gaining muscle is all about nutrition and proper exercise. Working out will allow you to build muscle but ONLY if you're fueling your body right. As userK said, this means taking in adequate levels of protein, but carbs are also an important source of energy! Your body needs about 30% of your daily calories from protein 45% from carbohydrates and 25% from fats. I haven't given you alot of information about calories and macronutrient ratios but if you're interested in knowing more you can message me.

As for working out, if you're new to the fitness or gym scene you should start off relatively slow to avoid any potential injuries. Youtube has some great videos for exercise ideas, but you must be careful as some of the moves and routine are quite advanced and have the potential to cause injury, don't go for glory the first time you go to the gym. If you're looking for a good routine talk to your phys. ed. teacher and I'm sure they would be willing to help you out! You can also feel free to message me and I can give you more specific guidance.

Hope this helps!
Cheers