Hi, I have been going to the gym for about two years. I am very satisfied with the way my muscles are developing. Until few months ago I didn't have any trouble with excess weight. But, now I have noticed that I have put on some weight that is not muscle mass. I would like to eliminate this fat, but wouldn't want to lose any muscle mass. What foods could I substitute to achieve these results?

Hi, to achieve the results you talked about, you should eat high protein food. Proteins are very important for your workout routine and muscle build up and you shouldn't give them up. The foods you can substitute are foods rich in carbohydrates. But, not all of the carbohydrates are that bad for you. You should try to avoid foods with simple sugars in it. This includes white sugar, white flour and foods like potatoes. So, eating junk food, white bread and things like that should be substituted with fruits, vegetables and whole grains products. Also substitute high fat products like potato chips and any kind of deep fried products with steamed chicken meat and all kinds of fish. And it is equally important to drink plenty of water. Combining these changes with your workout will help you to lose fat and not muscle tissue. But, for even greater results you should add some cardio exercises in your workout.

I agree on the higher protein diet, you want to be sure you are getting a quality protein, with high absorbability. Also, I have a good friend that is a body builder and he has developed a regimen that not only has helped with bulking more (not excessively), but getting rid of that excess. He has people coming up to him all the time at the gym, noticing how cut his muscles look. He uses a cleanse because our bodies store extra fat to protect us against toxins. Not all cleanses are alike as well. If you are interested in going over your diet, I am available to do that, I am a Health and Nutrition Coach and an RN. I can give you tips on what not to do and maybe what to do more of, it really starts with the diet!

**edited by moderator**