28-year-old male here, I'll try to describe the problem I'm having in the greatest detail that I can.

A couple of years ago, I randomly caught what my best guess would be a fungal infection beneath the foreskin of my penis. I procrastinated seeing a doctor because I figured it was just something like a male yeast infection or what have you, so I simply bought some antifungal creams and hoped it would go away on its own. The infection started as an inflamed area with a pus-filled sac, but that quickly went away. It progressed to a flaking of the skin on the whole glans, something that lasted for a week or two.

Eventually it subsided to whatever I presently suffer from, which is a general ring of inflammation underneath the foreskin accompanied by randomly dotted white patches of skin. When I say "white patches", I don't refer to something that looks like vitiligo, but very slightly raised, fibrous-looking spots. They are not open sores and do not discharge anything, nor are they itchy or uncomfortable, but I'm still a little wary of it.

I actually did see a doctor at some point about it, and they diagnosed it as lichen planus after both examining my penis and noticing the presence of Whickam striae in my mouth, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied with that dianosis, or would at least like to hear other opinions (before I pay a doctor to tell me the same thing again). I was prescribed steroids as a treatment and they had no effect, and was advised that lichen planus usually clears up after around 18 months, but it's been over two years at this point and I'd just like some varying opinions.