I have heard for case some man was infected with leptospirosis. I found out that is an infectious disease, which affects humans and animals. This is considered the most common zoonosis in the world and if often referred to as swineherd's disease. I found it interesting so I want to hear more about it. Can you give me more information about leptospirosis, and who is at greatest risk?

The organism that causes leptospirosis enters the body when mucous membranes or abraded skin is exposed to contaminated environmental sources. The infection causes a systemic illness that often leads to renal and hepatic dysfunction, which is the biggest problem. The disease was first recognized as an occupational disease of sewer workers. There were described the clinical manifestations in four men who had severe jaundice, fever, and hemorrhage with renal involvement. The main occupational groups at risk for getting leptospirosis include farm workers, veterinarians, pet shop owners, field agricultural workers, and abattoir workers. I have to say that plumbers, meat handlers and slaughterhouse workers, coal miners, workers in the fishing industry, military troops, milkers, and sewer workers are also in risk group for leptospirosis. Studies in sewer workers show greater prevalence of leptospira antibodies than in controls group. Although leptospirosis continues to be predominantly an occupational disease, it has increasingly been also recognized as a disease of recreation. After it gains entry via intact skin or mucosa, the organism called leptospira multiplies in blood and tissue. The resulting leptospiremia can spread to any part of the body. However, as I already said it affects the most commonly liver and kidney.