I used to be pretty active. I was good at swimming, cycling, basketball and running. However I became a couch potato and stop exercising at all. I have a busy schedule and have no time for workouts. I am thin and lean but I have noticed that my muscles are disappearing. How is that possible?

Well if you are inactive for a long time your body doesn’t see the necessity for keeping its previous muscle mass. You are not putting up any kind of effort so your muscles (at least a part of them) are redundant. Therefore your body is getting rid of them. It is normal process as we age. Good news is that we can stop it and reverse the process. You just have to start lifting weights and eat accordingly. You will regain your previous mass and even add some new (if you want to).

Probably because of some bad food that you have been eating and lack of exercise. Start exercising with some weights and try to eat healthier and you will return your muscles.

Start with easy exercise routine, with dumbbells for example. Include some heavier weights later until you rebuild the 'base'. Also, use diet rich on proteins that will help you gain your muscle mass back.

Don't think of it as your muscles "disappering"... your muscles are still there, they have just acquired a little extra skin to cover them up. So you say that when you were active in swimming, cycling, basketball and running, your muscles were more defined. And now that youve been a couch potato you wonder why they dont look the same? My friend, you just answered your own question! And since your naturally thin and lean all it takes is a little better diet and exercising. Dont rely on the gym for your workouts. If your usually pretty busy during the day try doing a workout that you can get done quickly, like a morning run and some crunches and push ups. You can even do basic exercises in your own home that require no weights that will help strengthen your core and burn some of that fat.

bad food is far worse than people realize. watch that new program fathead, it sheds some light on it, I just rented it from netflix.

Ahh, muscle atrophy and ageing!

Just gotta work a lot harder than you used to to get it all back, but as we get older, the muscle is harder to put on.... Goodluck