I'm a 21 old year girl. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 132 lbs. I'm not using any weights while exercising  except smaller dumbbells. But my trainer thinks I should start lifting some heavier weights. I'm not muscular at all and he suggested weights probably because of that. But I think that lifting weights will make me bulk up? I don't want to become muscular because I think it looks gross on a girl.

So I was wondering, should I start lifting weights as my trainer suggested? What is the benefit?

New Member

Lifting weights will not make you instantly muscular, women have lower testosterone than males so it takes a long time to get big muscles - which is what you seem to be scared of.

Adding some weights into your routine will kick start your metabolism to burn more fat as muscle workouts can cause the body to burn calories for up to 48 hours after exercise. Also it will simply be to increase your strength and stability without giving you big beefy muscles.

You may follow your trainer's instructions as there are different techniques used for weight lifting where some help build muscles as others help lose weight or just keep fit. The expert in the field may give you a better explanation on these.