I would like to give a history regarding my health to give u a better idea on where I need help

Firstly about myself

- Im 16 years old
- I got no fat on my arms, its thin and does not show any muscle when tightened to put it in a way, but its like any normal arm
- I am thin and dont have a stomach exactly, but I do have some fat and have no abs
- I am around 5'6 height
- My Haemoglobin count was low and Im sure is low still
- I really want to become stronger and have a better body that is stable

Hello, well to give an introduction to myself regarding my physical health, I used to basically go to school come home and use the computer and sometimes study (if forced) almost every day, so u can say that I am a geek which I am. Anyways I never did any sports except swimming, and I only did swimming for fitness as in just taking a light swim each day for about one hour. The other thing about me is that I basically HATE eating food and I often not eat breakfast properly or skip one meal a day or sometimes even skip two meals per day, and when I mean that I dont like to eat food, about 4 years ago after a blood test my Haemoglobin count was a bit below par it seemed and in another blood test before that it was the same and I dont think it has changed.

So basically I was a guy that
- barely had exercise for sometime and then stopped swimming and had no exercise at all
- hates eating food and eats little
- eats junk food in replacement for hunger due to lack of meals (this is only sometimes though)

Well anyways I also had a bad phsyological mind to say, I used to be insecure to interact with people and such about one year a back and since when I took the initiative to interact with people things slowly changed (very slowly) but this is only more from a phsycological point and Im still pretty insecure and not exactly the confident type of guy. So now I am going for basketball practices with our Uni/College basketball team, they basically have more matches than practice to gain through experience and doing less drills or sometimes no drills (you could call it getting practice through experience). So when I started playing with them there were many players, all of them were fast and strong and I naturally tended to get away from them due to the fear of being pushed and all, I knew my body wasnt hard enough for basketball then. So what I wanted to do was exercise and make my body stronger. Unfortunately I have no experience of exercise before nor going to the gym ever (as I remember). So I tried out some random exercises and noticed that I couldnt do even 1 pushup on my feet (yes, thats right =/). After that I did some googling and research and found out some exercises for me.

These were -
1)Plank
2)Side Plank
3)Bird Dog
4)And some exercise to enhance ur gluttons
5)Some basic jump roping done (not a rubber jump rope, a roped one but it works pretty well like a normal jump rope, probably a jump rope not meant for exercises)

Well I did manage to do them but well I didnt feel satisfied or anything, and didnt know how to progress further after doign these a while. Also I only had one day of these exercises

I was however able to do knee pushups but I didnt do much as I was tired from the previous exercises I did.

Anyways as the story continues, I also need to eat alot if I want to get my fitness up. I have no idea on what to eat or how to eat or even when to eat whatever I have to eat.

Again coming back to the training, I have some basketball practices during the weekdays, these days are not fixed, it can be from one basketball practice per every week(weekday) to four practices. These are all in the evenings though from 4.30PM onwards till about 7PM maximum. (You could leave this factor out though)

Anyways I want to exercise and I saw that some exercises required equipment such as a Medicine Ball or Dumbells. Whereas I want to exercise and workout in my home, I dont want to ask my parents to buy these things for me cos well I find it very embarrassing. I also dont want to go to the gym for a similar reason, all those big guys and some puny guy here waiting. Well I know u guys will suggest me to go to the gym or get equipment btut for now I would like to avoid equipment (except the jump rope since I already have one).

Well to make this fitness idea thingy program have a goal and a good one I set myself to be able to dunk a basketball and be able to play basketball with a steady body.

The Dunking part mainly, as it requires me to train my legs and my core to be able to jump properly and maintain control. To do this I will need to train my legs, and even before that I need to be able to do various exercises which would require me to train my core (perhaps work on trying and getting 6 pacs?).

Well I want you guys to help me develop some kind of exercise program which would actually work and suit me. like 10 planks, etc....
And also to know what kind of food to eat so that I can get my strength up while actually eating the right food and not eating alot of food that doesent help (Forcing myself to eat half of the time probably). I really need help on this as I have no idea on how to form a training schedule for me thats at home and does not equire equipment (other than the jump rope). Also anyways I really want to build a harder body (not a body builder exactly, but just hardening it) I do not mind results coming slowly (well not like one month for some very small result XD) but as long as they come. I hope you guys help me devise some sort of scheme that I could work with.

===to summarize in brief====
I havent done any exercises before, I dont eat propely and I started basketball recently and also want to overcome the challenge of making my body stronger as the weak state I am in would make it hard for me to do basketball and actually most sports oh and I can do 0 pushups too. I have no idea of what to do and what to eat and want you guys to help me figure out a workout like 10 planks etc. and to eat what kind of food too. I really would love any input as it really matters to me

Thanks in advance,

Regads,
JkinsonA

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

As what I've mentioned in another thread. Always follow the M.E.D. of healthy lifestyle.

M for Mindset

Mindset is a very important element in all aspects of healthy lifestyle. There should be only curiousity, determination and perseverance and no other negative thoughts. I have thoughts like yours when I first started going to the gym. But over time, I do find people who are not really big, but can carry real heavy weights, or at least they are there to learn. You can even learn from the regulars or instructors and no need to be shy. Know that, what you are looking at is the YOU in the FUTURE.

Another portion of mindset is that go ahead and SHARE with ALL your FRIENDS, FAMILY, or NETWORK! I always stand by the believe that true and supportive networks will always help you and motivate you. They will go all out for you. Don't let those people put you down. Even when nobody believes in you, believe in yourself. Another life example is me, when I started out to lost weight, I told a few people that I'm working out, they do not believe. But now, instead of only finding people to go with me, people with just ask me out for a gym session together.

E for Exercise

This is definitely something you have already known. And especially in sports, it is a must have. I will not plan one out for you. I'll leave that up to some other experts, but I can provide a guideline for you.

Regardless of what exercises you are doing for a particular muscle, always have an easy and a hard one. Easy ones are those that you can do 8-12 reps, and preferably, no more than that. This is to help build muscle endurance and confidence so that you will be able to do the harder ones. The harder ones, you should only be able to do not more than 6 reps before failing. This will ensure that you will build muscle mass and make you stronger. If you can do more than 6 reps, find harder ones or make it harder to do so.

Preferably it is good to work out your muscles to help with your basketball games. Don't be afraid of the guys you are playing with, exercising with them will help you out too.

D for Diet

Another important aspect, however, I'll leave it to other experts to do so. But it is good to take calcium and protein, best natural, to supplement your muscle gain. Protein is for muscle gains while the calcium is for the bones to be able to support your muscles. And make sure to drink lots of water as it will help you out.

I shall not make this too long, so follow this guidelines and seek help from others to do well. Update me of your progress. :D

Heyaa, thanks for your input as it gave me more confidence and a good guideline on what to do, based on that I have a good idea of what to try out now. =D

Thanks,
JkinsonA

Glad that it does help.

PM me on your update regularly.

I like to be able to hear people achieving success with my help, and know if there are any problems. Cause currently, I'm also on my own journey to better health, so it would be good to exchange some pointers.

I found it to be helpful, although I'd really appreciate it if you could offer some guidelines to a good diet. What kind of meats are good? Do you have any sample menus or anything?

I'm not fond to sticking to any particular menu, however I do always believe in eating the right proportion.

1. 80/20 rule

Nope, it's not the 20% of the people eat 80% healthy meal.
But however, you should take note that, your meals consist of 80% vegetables/fruits and only 20% meat. To put it in ratio terms, 4 vege to every 1 meat.

2. Breakfast is ALWAYS IMPORTANT

Important rule, which many people forgets. Breakfast is a must for anyone who wants to slim down. It is the very first meal of the day, to provide energy for your whole day, while Lunch is just to replenish some energy, wheras Dinner is a small meal to end off the day.

Just remember: Breakfast, eat like a King. Lunch, eat like a Prince (Princess for the ladies). Dinner, eat like a Beggar.

3. More is better than Less

Although coupled with the above, this seems contradictive, however, in between meals, it is ok to snack on some snacks, not too much though, so that your metabolism can increase.

4. Eat the Right food at the Right time

It is good to note that during all your meals, there's a certain sequence to eat so that you won't overeat.
    1. Drink soup
    2. Eat Fruits & Vegetables
    3. Fried stuff/Meat

It should be done in this order generally. If there's no soup, then eat vegetables first.

5. Kinds of Meat

I'm not in a good position to help much here. However, it is good to take in more White meat, then the Red ones. Taking both is ok, as long as you moderate, and ensure 80% of your diet are vegetables.

Basically, just a guideline. I'm sure on the net, there are many kinds of sample menu and recipes, but it is good to meet up with a local nutritionist to plan it for you, to cater to your exact lifestyle.

chenxiang, I really like the menu that you put there. What about grains? If you are eating 80% fruit/veg and only 20% meat, do you skip grains altogether?

What would you classify grains under?

In fact, the menu that I put up is normally for average and people going for weight loss. For people who are aiming to build up, the most improtant thing is their protein and calcium intake. I don't recommand taking in Protein shakes or Calcium tablets for that though.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm not a big guy. I am usually trying to put on muscle. THe biggest thing I do is I eat a lot of peanut butter. There's lots of good protein in there. What do you think of that?

Peanut butter is a great source of Protein. I normally would include peanut butter bread in my diet just for it, especially if I'm working out.

But about from the protein intake, there should be sufficient time for muscle recovery so that you can put on the muscles. :-)

Well i do enjoy the flavor yes. :) But I am glad to hear that it passes muster. Is there really any type of protein you think wouldn't work that well?

Personally, all kinds of protein will help. However, as usual, I'm more of a natural person, so I don't really recommand taking protein shakes. If you really must, then go ahead.

Yes Mind set and discipline should be the first thing that you have to consider.....have a strict diet first then go exercising.....this is what i did!

Thanks for all these info. I'm glad I came across this conversation. We're talking sense here!!

I like natural protein shakes myself. I always use a scoop of peanut butter, some vanilla frozen yogurt, and some milk. It's TONS of protein and delicious! But it may not be for everyone. ANyone else dos omething like this?