I have been having painful bowel movements for a couple of months. This pain is also occasionally accompanied by one or two small open sores on the external part of my anus. I had sort of self diagnosed myself previously because I had no health insurance and I thought I had anal fissures, so I began increasing my fiber and using a hemmeroid cream and it seemed to be helping, but now I am having the same pain and sores. I have health insurance now and have an appointment next week, but if anyone has any idea what could be causing this and how to stop it I would really appreciate it. The discomfort is not constant, only when I have a bowel movement. Thanks.

It sounds to me like hemorrhoids - but I could be wrong. It is good that you are getting them checked out. I have used a cotton pad soaked in "witch hazel" to help reduce the swelling and the pain. Keep us posted and let us know what it was.