Hi, I have a teenage daughter. I do not know what else I can do to help her with her problems. Everyday we deal with a new crisis. I was a teenager too, but I don't remember that I was so upset if I woke up with a new pimple. If I tell her that this is a normal thing and that it will go away after a while, she bursts into tears. These new adolescent problems are very frustrating for me. Can you give me some advice that could help me to help my daughter with her adolescent problems?

Hi, being an adolescent today differs from the days when you were a teenager. Today, adolescents are under a lot more stress. I understand that you want to do everything in your power to help your daughter get through this stressful period as safely as possible. If your daughter's only problems are pimples and bad hair days, you should consider yourself very lucky. However, I suspect that this is the only thing that concerns her. Adolescent years are a period when your daughter will learn to behave as an adult. If she is not talking to you about more serious issues than pimples, you will have to start paying more attention to her if you want her to grow up to be a healthy member of the society. Try to approach her when she is watching TV or listening to music. You should not ask questions, but use affirmative sentences. I am sure that after a while your daughter will open up to you and start to trust you more to talk about more serious problems that are on her mind.