Hi everyone. My little daughter is convinced she is overly fat and she wants to try with some diet. My ex wife and I are totally against it but she is very persistent with the idea, we just can’t convince her to eat. I understand she is now in the sensitive period of her life, and she does have a couple of extra pounds that probably look really big in her eyes. I understand all of that and that is why I try not to be too much harsh on her. But I am pretty worried about her. I worry she might endanger her health since I know eating healthy, variety of foods is very important especially at the age when she is still growing. Is it dangerous for the teenagers to be on a diet?

Hi Aristotle40

I have the same problem with my mom. She thinks I’m too young for a diet.

But if you ask me, she is NOT RIGHT. I hate going to school because everybody is making fun of my size. And she thinks I only have a couple of extra pounds. Don’t think I’m just a little girl who doesn’t know what she is talking about. I’m 16 and I can tell you that the everyday stress (at the pool  and whenever I need to take off my clothes) is going to affect my health more than the food I eat while on diet. And after all, there are diets that are perfectly healthy, that include meat and vegetables. How is that worse for me than eating fast food every day at school?

Hi, no i don't think that it is dangerous, but it also depends that what foods are you dieting on. If you are dieting in the foods like the junk stuff then you are good to go with this kind of diet, and have healthy food, like green vegetables and salads and fruits. And if finding it hard, then just try and reduce the number of times you consume the junk food, and increase the number of healthy foods. Hope this helps :)

Hello there

I see your mom is pretty annoying to you, is she?

Well I must tell you, she is right. You are too young to make this kind of decisions on your own, and because I see you are mature enough, my advice for you is to reconsider your idea about the diet. Maybe your mom has more life experience than you and she is trying to teach you what's best for you. Even though they sound harmless, some diets can affect your health in a bad way, especially when you are in your teens. And as Aristotle said, I bet those extra pounds look a lot bigger in your eyes than in the eyes of others.

Hello Isha Sharma

I'm not sure if I agree with you.
Boys and girls in their teens are in a very sensitive period of life. Their bodies are not yet full-grown and they need good food habits to develop properly. If we are talking about teens just restricting junk food, unhealthy drinks and snacks, I agree. That is what I consider normal without any diet. I would never let my children to eat junk food while they are still growing. I know they hate me for that, but I know they will be grateful some day. And as for restricting other, healthy groceries, like chicken and eggs ( many diets restrict them) I'm totally against it.

I know she only wants what's good for me, but I don't think she sees stuff clearly enough. And she is pretty annoying since she doesn't even want to sit for just 2 minutes and at least consider the things I talk about all day.

I'm not talking about some rigorous diet that will mess up my organism. I am talking about changing my eating habits, maybe paying attention on how many calories I consume daily. I would also limit bread, pancakes, pasta and stuff that I know will make me look like a balloon. And instead I could eat vegetables, fruits (except bananas) and stuff like that. I strongly believe that this can't be bad for you, whether you are a teenager or an adult.