I've been overweight/obese my whole life. In September, I started dieting and exercising, and weight loss is going well. Since I've been losing weight, I've noticed a hard mass just below my belly button... sometimes just to the left and other times to the right (depending on what side I've been sleeping on). When I "lift up the fat" (I know that's gross), it doesn't feel so large, but "through the fat" it feels grapefruit size. It's always there, but I can only feel it when I'm on my back. I remember noticing it for the first time a few years ago, but I could barely feel it then and thought it was obesity-related. My doctor palpated it last week and didn't want to hazard a guess. She vaguely mentioned fibroids, but also said it was higher than the uterus. I'm going for an ultrasound, and preparing for the worst (cancer). Would a large palpable malignant tumor have caused other problems by now? Like I said, it's been there for years. The past few months, I do seem to have constipation off and on with diarrhea, but I attributed that to the diet changes. Can an ultrasound determine if it is cancer?

an ultra sound probaly will , they do those when pregnent and when I thought I had a mass on my breast. Could be a hernia, go get it checked outasap!