Hi there,

Every two months or so i get sharp pain in my abdomen which can be very severe. It generally occurs in the evening and can last up to 8 hours or so. I'm not sure what this is and have been to a few doctors who have not been able to identify the problem, even after xrays etc.
I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or would be able to suggest anything which might help me?
I am female and 22 years old.

Thanks

Sounds frustrating!

Can you tell us WHERE in your abdomen the pain is located, and the KIND of pain involved (cramping, stabbing, aching......etc?)

Also, do your bowel movements change around the time the pain occurs?

If I am feeling some aching in my stomach that's associated with loose stool, could you tell me what that means? I hate to crash the thread but the other person hasn't come back to answer your questions yet. Can you tell me?

Hi HealthnFitness Guy

Happy to answer whatever questions you have!

Aching followed by loose stool generally means your body didn't like what was passing though your intestines, so got rid of it quick. Scattered through your intestines are bunches of immune cells called 'Peyers Patches'. They monitor what's going past and set up an appropriate immune reaction if they believe there's a problem. Kind of like patrolmen for your bowels.

When you say 'stomach' do you mean your actual stomach (central just below your ribs) or your abdominal area? We need to know the location of the aching, as well as how much time elapses between the aching and the production of the stool.

Also, does the aching always appear in the same area, or in different locations each time?

Regards, Olwen

Hi there, when I say my stomach, I definitely mean my lower stomach, like in my intestines. I also think it definitely appears in the same place, although not the same time. It happens whenever. If you have an ansewr for me, I'd appreciate it!! :-)

Hi healthnfitnessguy

To best describe what part of your abdomen the pain is appearing in, we often refer to the abdomen as if we had drawn imaginary lines across it, creating four sections: left lower quadrant, which is the lower left quarter of your abdomen, on the same side as your left hand. Then there's the right lower quadrant, the right upper quadrant and the left upper quadrant.

Draw an imaginary line down the centre of your abdomen, then an imaginary line across the middle of your abdomen, horizontally. Now you have the 'quadrants' identified. Then I can get an idea of which part of your intestines isn't happy.

Which quadrant does the pain appear in?

Regards, Olwen :-)