Please help - I am and have experienced a problem very similar to the one listed below (but no medical responses were found on her post and it seems to be no longer active) and I am really hoping to finally have an answer as to what this pain is. I have seen urologists, a GI physician, and an ob-gyn about this pain - no one has any idea what is wrong.

The pain happens just about every morning, and is worse the longer I sleep in. It almost seems related to my bladder, or urinating in the morning, as the pain perhaps begins in that area and gets worse the longer I sleep in. The pain, however, radiates throughout my entire abdomen, from the bottom up to my chest and all around (not like heartburn at all). When it is vey bad, it is difficult to breath in without making the pain worse, or even move around. I have to roll out of bed and - hunched over - walk to the bathroom. After urinating, the pain starts to ease up, but depending on the severity of the pain that day could last anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours. The pain is also worse when pushing my stomach out. I've had an abdominal ultrasound, kidney ultrasound, bloodwork, etc. The pain is also eased a little with gas, which is why I was sent to a GI specialist. I have had this problem for years. I am a 23-year-old female as well (like the poster below) and I am currently now pregnant, which makes me worry about this more. It is not better or worse since becoming pregnant, but I worry that this pain could be dangerous to the baby somehow. PLEASE respond with any thoughts or ideas about this.

(Post from two other people, from earlier this year)

"I am a 23 year old female. Every morning I wake up with severe pain in the lower right side of my abdomen. It is so bad that I cannot even sit up to get out of bed and I have to kind of roll out. I cannot sneeze, walk down the stairs or cough when I have this pain without my legs giving way. I sometimes have it at other times of day but never as bad as in the morning. It seems to gradually disappear after I have woken up and also after I have done a wee. Also I have found that the longer I sleep the worse it is. The only other symtoms I have are occassional feeling a constant need to urinate although nothing coming out when I try and also sometimes i really have to push to get the flow of urine started. (this is not every day) It has been going on for about 8 months now.
Back to top
Did you find this post useful?

LisaLPharmD
Newbie

Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1

Posted: 02/28/07 - 05:15 Post subject: Same thing!
I actually found your post bc I was searching for this exact same problem on Yahoo. You described almost exactly what happens to me all the time. It is usually also more painful on days when I sleep longer"

Ditto to the 6/10 poster. Pain in morning never gets severe at all though. Male 23 y/o feels better after urinating. Every single morning. Ex smoker, quit for 3 weeks now, pack a day for 4 years, just had a physical blood work urinalysis, everything is good... just an oddity I guess wondering what the hell this is? I have heard that it may be swallowing air when sleeping, especially if accompanied by gas which would lead me to see a sleep specialist, which I have not done yet. Going to see my regular doc first- so maybe if you have been to GI and other docs, move in direction of swallowing air at night, don't know if the pain that comes from that is severe as you described though.

Request an MRI because I had pain that was in my lower right abdomen and my OB gave me a full hysterectomy and that did not help. I had an MRI and found out I had nerve damage which does wierd things to ones body.
Good luck
Shannon

morningpain wrote:

Back to top
Did you find this post useful?

LisaLPharmD
Newbie

Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1

I am suffering from the very exact thing... no doctor has determine what is wrong. Through my own research I have pinned it down to two different things both have to do with the intestines; celiac decease and diverticulitis. I go back to the doctors this Wednesday. I will be sharing my thoughts with them too... wish me good luck. email me if you want to hear more about what I find out.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

morningpain wrote:

Back to top
Did you find this post useful?

LisaLPharmD
Newbie

Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1

i have the same pains every day for 2 + years, i have it when in bed and lying down , when my bladder is full hurts like hell, untill i go to the loo and wee, ahhh relief, i had gallbladder out 2011, have i.b.s. various non gastic illnesses. i feel i have a huge elephant in my tummy, i feel sick when eating but dont, have acid reflux on... pariet 20mg. tablets,daily. bloated, my stomach isnt bloated before i eat only after, i have had scans on upper ab. and pelvic scan ( only said my left ovarie was not present, i feel like its a couple of hernias/ulcers ??? as i have lots of acid and its worse on laying down, i find when i breathe in it really hurts in bed worse in mornings, my doctor says things llike we have done lots of tests, its maybe your ibs..... no way i said its food/bladder pressure/lying down morning wakeing pain every day, i go for bladder eurodynamics test next week,and go see my doc, again too as i have had a ovarian cancer blood test,and H.plyo. stool test too. wish i could feel well again , and find answers......i am middle aged female..... maybe its .... hysterectomy time,or endometrosis ???

try prostrate tests ?? not convinced about sleep gases ?? maybe hernia /ulcer, or ibs ? good luck,

i will reqeust mri scan, hope i dont have to have hyster,op. as it was mentoined earlier, i feel its a few hernias ? thanks anyway. good luck with yours.

I have the same problem as the first response this has been going on for years it goes away and come back years ago I had a cyst on my overies and it erupted on oits own I been to the docters as well I got pics tooken all kinds of test as well nothing I was reccommended to take 6 cranberry pills a day it helped but this past week my pain is back I can't even sleep in the pain wakes me up to go to the bathroom but I am going to drink some cranberry juice today and maybe grab the pils later

Hi all,

Its been 6 months and no cure yet? I am a 26yr old female who has the same pain. I started with pain in my lower back a few months ago but that was the start to a life of pain. I went for a MRI an the neurologist concluded I have a narrowing disc in my L5S1, but a few days later my big toe started going numb and tingly, not related to my back. A few weeks later I broke out with about 16 mouth sores/ulcers All over the insideof my mouth,  also said to be a problem of its own. Over the past 2 weeks I have this pain right below my ribcage on the right side, you can feel the tenderness.i also have this bad sharp pain in the morning when I get up in my lower tummy. 

I belive all my signs are linked however no dr can give me an answer..

If anyone has some light on what their outcomes are, please share it with me and the many other people seeking advice.

Abdominal pain in the morning. This doesn't happen EVERY morning, but yes..most. It feels as though I have been cut open from one side to the other. It also hurts in the upper as well. It is severe. I too have to roll out of bed, bc standing up straight is virtually impossible. It sometimes lasts an hour or so usually. I have discusses this with my Primary Physician and he doesn't have a clue. My OBGYN doesn't know either. I have recently had a CT scan done(not so much about this, but my left side was very tender to touch). They only found cysts on my left ovaries and a polyp. 2 wks ago I had a D&C and an Endometrial Ablation and since then this abdominal pain in the morning persists. Also, when I wait to go to the restroom for a while and I finally do there is a lot of pain and pressure on my right side. This just started happening. Its terrible not having a diagnosis for me and all of these ppl that have the same pain. The doctors look at us like we are crazy when trying to describe. In fact, it's very hard to do. The pain is THAT severe. Pressure, burning, stabbing(feels like I had a csection all over again). If anyone here so happens to get a diagnosis. Let me know. Wish y'all well :)

I felt the same way and i stiil have up to now i had it for 6 months already it gets worse and worse.

Hello. I had what I feel was an unnecessary hysterectomy 3 wks ago. The pain was that severe I just wanted it to be gone. Doctor did not want to do just lapraoscopy to look around to see what was causing pain. He said "if we do that then we might as well do hysterectomy since I have already had 5 children." During surgery he did find adhesions on the left side. And a cyst on my left fallopian tube. He said " that may not be the reason for the pain." Of course he is gonna say that after he removed my uterus, tubes, & cervix. Best wishes.

Has anyone had any diagnoses to these complaints?? Mine has been going on for 7 years?? I have had tests for celiac, fructose intolerant, endoscopy & colonoscopys, blood tests, have $800 of herbs from Natropath & every morning same thing as soon as I wake up pain all throughout my lower abdomen - sharp stabbing burning pain... Gets worse just before I wee and then the remaining pain hangs around for hours after... I am sick and run down and tired of having no answers!! This is frivken killing me!!!

I too have similar pain most mornings. Seems to dissapear once I've been up for a little while although some days I have it all day. Have had blood tests, stool samples, ultra sounds, endoscopy, colonoscopy (which I found very painful) but all tests found to be clear and all doc keeps saying is IBS. SwearHi I was wondering if you could tell me roughly how much it would cost to replace door mechanism on my UPVC domestic back door. The tongue is not retracting when operation handle. Lock is all fine and I've managed to open door with no damage but think mechanism is broken as can not move tongue even with handle off. they say this when they don't know the answer themselves!! I'm a 32 year old male and fed up of feeling more like a 72 year old man! Let me know if you get any answers and I will do the same. All you seem to find on these forums are similar problems but no answers! Swear people just don't bother helping once they are sorted themselves

Look up Interstitial Cystitis/Painful Bladder Syndrome. I have these same symptoms, it's not diagnosable, Dr's just rule out all other possibilities. But all the symptoms and from reading many of the posts here, your symptoms match as well. It does say many people who have this have an urgency to urinate or urinate several times a day. I don't experience that, but remember it says many who have this do...that doesn't mean everyone does. Also, some forums on IC/PBS say symptoms can worsen while menstruating. If not ever paid any attention to that before, but now that I have, this seems to be true. So, try to track that as well. Hope this helps!!! Just remember the Dr. Shouldn't just assume this first, but to rule everything else out first!!!