Hello

I am a 19 year old guy. Very slim build, ~180cm. Not on medication. No even slightly relevant medical history except tonsils removed.
around 27 hours ago i vomited repeatedly due to drinking too much wine.

My alcohol intake for the past 7 days previous had been a total of 6 units split over 2 days before this happened.

I found myself with abdominal pain in the area of my upper left abdomen after this bout of vomiting. It is only slight and i can barely feel it, just a slightly dull ache. Except if i cough (especially intense in short bursts 1 per cough) or tense my stomach muscles it hurts more in sharp pinching pain, as well as turning my body quickly in either direction (in this one it is just a more prominent dull pain, not particularly intense). No other symptoms so far.

No physical damage from anything, and i can remember pretty much all of the night.

Can see no swelling.

Does not hurt from applied pressure, and i have tried pressing that area repeatedly and all around my abdomen.

I do not remember in exact terms except that my vomit was dark (but then, i had been drinking only dark coloured Rose wine, and my dinner was bacon fried rice with lots and lots of soya sauce so I dont know if this matters). There could have been blood in it, but blood has a distinctive taste and I do not remember tasting blood.

I had not eaten very much before on that day (partly why i was in such a state).

What could cause this pain, and do I need to see a doctor? Never had this problem from vomiting before, and its only gotten to that stage 4 times in my life to date. Before its just been throw up, sleep, wake up fine. Worried i may have low level gastrointestinal bleeding.

thanks

Hi LawMRE

Thanks for all the details.

The problem could be in your intestines or you might have an inflamed pancreas - only a doctor diagnosis can tell you for sure. So yes, please see a doctor so you can set your mind at rest if its nothing at all, or get appropriate treatment if there is something more serious going on.

Can you let us know how you go?

Regards, Olwen :-)

isnt pancreatitis deadly? my symptoms do not seem as serious as would be required?
can throwing up repeatedly cause anything more temporary and less serious? i am not a heavy drinker in general and this is fairly 1 off, i thought pancreatitis needed consistent heavy drinking to occur and caused a lot more pain?

Hi LawMRE

No need to panic! It might not be anything serious at all - but the symptoms you're describing certainly call for a doctor's diagnosis.

Does this help?

Regards, Olwen :-)

Hi Law, what Olwen posted is correct. It does sound like you'd need to at least see a doctor. It's been a few days--have you set up an appointment to see one at least? Can you keep us posted? Thanks!

Did you ever find out what the problem was? Because I am having the same pain!