I had my medical abortion on the 5th of March. I was 7 weeks and 6 days preggo. Took the first pill to stop the progesterone, it worked fine. Took the second set of pills vaginally to induce cramping, well they worked just FINE. I was cramping about 2 hours after I inserted the pills, and experienced basically the worst pain I've ever felt in my entire life. It lasted for about 4 hours, then it died down. I started bleeding, and lots of clots and such came out for about 3-4 days. After that, the next few days I just had what looked like old blood come out, barely if any clots.

So I went back for my follow up a week after the abortion, and they did a vaginal ultrasound- said I still had lots of "clots" in my uterus, and gave me more of the pills that you insert vaginally to induce cramping. The cramping wasn't nearly as bad this time- and I've been bleeding for a week now, pretty heavily and smoothly, with clots here and there.

I went for another visit today- she did another vaginal ultrasound and told me that it looks like there's still a lot of blood and I need a D&C. I'm freaking OUT. What's going on?? I've heard some girls say they took months to finish bleeding/shedding their uterine lining. They're telling me the D&C is for "Safety" so I won't get an infection. Why am I bleeding sooo much, but they're saying I still have lots of blood in me?

I don't want a D&C, originally I was going to get the aspiration one and they told me oh well you are 8 weeks preggo, you'll be fine with the medical abortion, and if not we'll just used the aspiration method. I've heard horror stories about the D&C scarring uterine lining because the doctor's were over-aggressive in the scrapping. My own sister had this problem, and now she's infertile.

But the doctor today tried to tell me it's the same thing- the aspiration and D&C are part of the same package. What??

And what the eff can I do to get this blood out of me before next week, which is my surgery's appointment? (after they do another ultrasound to make sure it's still there).

I've been exercising my butt off to try and stimulate it to get out. Did my cervix close, and now it's stuck in there?? My fiance's been massaging my lower stomach, and that seems to REALLY help. It's been 3 weeks now since my abortion and so we were allowed to have sex- but I'm freaking out, will sex stop the blood from coming out??

I really, really do not want a D&C. I've already been through heck and back with the medical abortion- that was horror enough. But this?? What should I do?

Rockyroad,

I'm sorry you're having complications but from your description, you do need to have the D&C. As you said, if you don't it it likely that you will get an infection and the bleeding will continue. It is recommended that you have a follow up exam just to check to see if the abortion was successful.

There are risks but as of now your fertility and your life are ultimately in danger. You need to weigh the risk versus the benefit.

Talk to the doctor that is going to perform the procedure to discuss your concerns. They should be able to tell you exactly what is going on with you and why this needs to be done.

Hope it helps.

Thank you, it really does help. I just want to know why it didn't work on me- they told me it was effective up until 9 weeks. Is there a chance I was past the 9 weeks, even though they said I was barely 8 weeks?

I have it scheduled for next Tuesday..

I'm glad you have it scheduled.

There are just so many variables involved. Having the d&c is fairly common.

Good luck with the procedure.

I had my medical abortion the same day and seem to be experiencing the same thing now. I was 7 wk and 3 days prego when I went to have it done. I'm confused and upset and just don't understand wth is going on. In a way I'm glad to hear somebody speaking about the same issue I'm going through. Good luck on your next appt and I hope one of us passes these damn clots.

..thought I would share my experience. I had a aspiration abortion on march 8th, i immediately bled afterwards. It was a bright red blood, about 4 days after the procedure I stopped bleeding and was spotting, but brown blood(like old blood), and I was passing big clots with alot of severe cramping. On March 14th I passed a very big clot and called the clinic they told me to go to E.R, so thats exactly what I did, I was there till almost 5am march 15th. I had a pelvic exam and an ultrasound and was told that I had alot of tissue and blood still left inside after the abortion procedure, and they decided to put me on a medication called "Methergine" for the next 24 hours to make the uterus contract and speed things along. I had a follow-up appointment with the clinic on the 16th. Went to the clinic and was told that my Uterus was full of blood and that I needed a D&C to get the blood out because obviously my body wasn't getting rid of it, even with the help of the methergine. I told the Doctor I didnt want to undergo this procedure, I have 3 children my last child was a c-section and between that and this abortion that I medically had to have, to undergo another procedure was too much for me. His reply was that I am risking infection with all the blood held up in my uterus, it could all expel out of my body at once and I could HEMORRAGE and end up needing a blood transfusion. < That was enough for me to have the D&C done. One good thing about the D&C I only spotted for a few days after the procedure and the cramps were gone. Well, 2 days ago (almost 6 weeks after the original procedure) i started cramping again, and started spotting (I assumed I was getting my period) .. now the same thing is happening again, im passing brown blood with a bad odor and extreme cramping. I have an appointment tomorrow to go be seen because now they think I might have scar tissue built up from the prior c-section, this abortion and D&C, i dont know what the hell is going on...   I wish you the best of luck ... but if the Dr is saying u need the D&C, chances are - YOU NEED TO HAVE IT DONE!!  Good luck :) 

Please try eating lots of papaya or pine apple they helps to clean the womb for 1 week or so...Hope natural remedies will help good luck.

I had an abortion a year ago and every since I have had the abortion I have excessive discharge now in the last month my greasy are swollen and VERY sore! I have not seen a doctor since and inputs??

My breast not my greasy

I am sorry you're going through this

I was pregnant with twins but needed to abort for my own health at 5 weeks. I chose the medical abortion even though my dr advised the d and c but I would have to wait till 8 weeks. So I got shots in my legs and a few days later took 4 pills vaginally. I had terrible bleeding and cramping for a few days. But my stomach was still bigger than usual and my breasts were tender so I knew it hasn't worked. Sure enough I went for ultrasound yesterday and one twin sac is still there (no heartbeat). I was so upset and was given the choice to do the pills again and hope it works or just do the d and c. I chose the d and c today and it was so much better for me than the medical abortion! I barely have cramps but am taking ibuprofen just in case and have so little bleeding I only need a pantiliner. I'm really sorry you're going through this but just wanted you to know I was expecting the worst from today and I'm really ok physically (of course not emotionally). Wishing you well!

May i know what was the result after going back sincd they think this may be tissue built up from last c section?

Dear, please don't abort. Usually women who abort end up regretting it. Please go see your local crisis pregnancy center for help. They'll let you know your options on what to do with the child. They are pretty gentle there Also, I would suggest adoption because then your child would be cared for by a loving family. Plus, adoption would be less regretful than abortion (Most women regret abortion more than adoption.) Just don't be afraid to tell your parents if you need help.

Me and my sister was adopted and we went through hell with our adoption parent..I was used and abused..my sister was so traumatize she does drugs and etc today...noone can love your child like you can...most people that adopt have reasons..or are just obsessed about what they can't have...when the women who adopted us had her own child (she thought she couldn't have any)we were really treated like pure sh*t..she even told us we should be grateful for her always cause nobody wanted our ass...and the difference she made on how she treated her own child versus us was very noticeable ...our childhood screwed with me and my sister's head to this day...no child of mine should ever have to go through the hell I've been through..our adopted mom made it seem like we were one happy family to the world but in reality me and my sister were miserable. .....you just dont know who you're giving your children to...

I'm sorry for all that you and your sister went through. If you need any help at all, there is a group called Crisis Text Line. Basically, you can text them about anything that's troubling you. Here's there number if you need it 741-741 I'm praying for you sweetheart