Hello, My name is Kari, I'm 31 years old, married to a very supportive husband and mother of three children aged 12, 10 & 6. I had my gallbladder removed 11 years ago. I was pregnant with my oldest during the time and spent more than a year with a very inflamed gallbladder full of stones. Four months later I had an attack that felt extremely similar to that of the gallbladder pain. The Dr. went back in to see if there were any stones left in the ducts, and found nothing.
The pain would then come and go it would seem, I was having severe pain two or three times a month. This went on for a year or so and then pretty much disappeared.
I would have the occasional attack and would see the doctor and he would never have an answer for me.
In June of 2003 while on vacation I had a extremely severe attack, they had been building up again for the past few months. This attack was the worst one ever! I was taken to the ER where they pumped me full of Morphine and Phenergan and sent me on my merry way. The attacks would again come and go, some very painful and would end up in the ER only to have the same Morphine and Phenergan treatment and sent home.
Last September my stomach started hurting when I ate and then go away, by January it was constant pain. Did not matter what I ate, the pain would start as soon as I swallowed whatever it was. Having much better insurance this time, I was able to go on with more tests to finally figure this out. EVERYTHING came back normal, so I was diagnosed with IBS and my primary care physician wrote me off.
I decided to try out my sisters Doctor and am so glad that I did. After hearing my history and asking details of the pain, location, timing etc...she said "Has your amylase and lipase levels been checked?" "No." I answered. She then decided to order a few blood tests and a stool sample. She was also the first Doctor to ask me if I needed anything for the pain. I nearly fell apart at the seams, finally someone was listening to me, and even better believed what I was saying.
The end result being, Chronic Pancreatitis due to Gallbladder Disease.
So finally I have an answer, something to focus on instead of being all over the place searching for answers. I am so glad I found this board and am hoping for some advise from some of the veterans of this god awful disease.
I have been perscribed Protease MT 4 to take with meals, this is my second week on the medication and am not feeling any great difference. The dilaudid for the pain is the only thing that can make the pain bearable. So my question is this, as there is little to no information on CP, where do I go to figure this out? I'm eating properly as far as I can tell but the ideas and suggestions out there are varied and conflicting. What medications are working for you? How long did it take to get the pain under management? Any and all help is appreciated!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Sincerely,
Kari

Hi Kari

Thanks for sharing your story. Gee it certainly makes a difference when you find the right practitioner, doesn't it. Relief indeed!

Just wondering - have you asked your new doctor to point you in the direction of the sort of info you're looking for?

Regards, Olwen :-)