MY FIANCEE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR ONE OF THESE, I AM NOT SURE THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. IS THERE? ALL THAT I KNOW IS THAT HIS AMYLASE LEVELS WERE UP TO 8000 BUT IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD IT DROPPED TO 405. THE DR. SAID THAT HE MAY HAVE HAD A STONE IN HIS PANCREATIC DUCT. HE DOES NOT HAVE HIS GALLBLADDER ANY MORE SO IS THAT POSSIBLE? MOST IMPORTANTLY I WAS TOLD NO GREASY OR SPICY FOODS. DOES THAT ELIMINATE MARGERINE AND OLIVE OIL TO COOK WITH?

In acute pancreatitis, which is what your boyfriend went through (I suppose), amylase levels do rise to very big levels, a few hours after the pain begins. They will stay that high for a few days and then gradually subside.
This increase and an increase in another enzyme is usually what makes the docs make or suspect the pancreatic inflammation.

As for the foods, you should certainly avoid margarine and cut olive oil. If the diet had to be strict, I suppose your doctor would indicate dos and don’ts. So, whenever you can avoid cooking with oil, do that, and always use olive oil instead of coconut, palm and palm kernel oil since they are high in saturated fat (fats that raise cholesterol).

For example, if you were planning on putting on two chicken legs in the oven, you would usually put some oil under and on the chicken, right? Instead of oil, pour some water in the dish so it covers to bottom and then put the chicken on top. You have to check often if water has dried and add some more until the chicken legs are finished.

Until your boyfriend recovers, you should turn to steaming. Also, get rid of all the fat from mat before cooking.
Also, make sure you include enough carbohydrates in his diet.

My husband has been very sick for 6 mos. lost 75 lbs, can not eat, in chronic pain all the time in his stomach, upper left side,and back. He had gallbladder stones and that was removed 2 mos ago, which was over looked by his former doctors. They were treating him for Acid Reflux. Since his surgery he has not improved, he is weak, no control with bowels. He is in bed all the time, I get him up to eat? he is taking enzemines now for his pancress, not any better. Doctors make stomach & pelvis scans every 2 weeks. No stones or blockages found, nothing growing. Please send me advise on what can he eat and what should we do next. He has had 9 days in the hospital and nothing for eat or drink for 5 days to get pancress under contol, he Amylase was normal, and Lipase was 800!!!. Some one out there has answers for us.
Thanks

I know what he:s going through. the first piece of advise I will give you was giving to me by a prossitional nurtionist. after my return home from the hospital of a 9 day stay I went home with a limited diet much like the one your husband went home with, Well after a few days I wasn't getting better and reduced to not eating at all. I mostly just had Hot Tea. After weeks of this my body was searching for nutirunion. I was given the advise that after leaving the hospital my pancreas was still inflammed (IBUBorphean is dandous for our body) and the only way to calm it was by relieving it from and production of the pancreas. you have to start all over...no food all he may have is a clear liquid diet. first starting out with 2 enlive box drinks then on to three /maybe evenfour depending how much phsysical movement. you may then move on to liquid items such as hot tea's, chicken broth etc. them to low sodium soup and smoothies ( make sure it doesn't have seeds they are harmful/difcult to digest. I was one a clear then liquid diet for 6 weeks. I hope all goes well heel free to contact me if you have any questions. smith BTW my amylase and lipase were both off the chart 10000+ and 3000+