hello! My husband has been diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. A couple of days ago he experienced sudden pain in the upper abdomen and he looked pretty ill and he even vomited the day he went to ER. Today we got the results. I am interested in what could have provoked this disease and what can be done in turns of treatment. Thank you

Is your husband a binge alcohol drinker? I mean, this is not the main risk factor but certainly one of a few. Other possible causes are gallstones, drugs, high blood fats but there are times when doctors are unable to determine the cause. If gallstones have developed, he will probably have to get rid of the gallbladder. Pancreatitis is a disease in which digestive enzymes break out into the tissues of the organ instead of staying within the tubes and damage the pancreas. After the treatment, which may include resting, drugs, etc he will definitely need to make some life-style changes in order to prevent this from happening. If the disease is alcohol induced, there could be problems because he may get permanently sick.