I always use chapstick and i don't mind, but if i don't use it my lips burn and feel very warm and they hurt. is it possible that i am addicted to chapstick??

In my opinion - you may be but only psychologically. I honestly don’t believe in this chapstick addiction because there is nothing you can be hooked on physically.
Chapsticks consist of salicylic acid, which is an antifungal and antimicrobial agent and from menthol, camphor, and phenol.

Are you licking your lips when you’re not using chapsticks? That may be the reason your lips are burning and hurt or maybe even crack. Licking dries the lips, which sets in motions these other symptoms.

That is how I see it. Honestly, I can’t stand something like a chapstick on my mouth. Doesn’t it irritate you? What kind of effect are you getting?

After spending a year at a boarding school in rural Pennsylvania, I can saw that I experienced a true winter for the first and hopefully last time. I have lived in Southern California for most of my life, so after the novelty of snow wore off, I was doomed to trudge through waist high snow in small blizzards to every class as boarding students were not permitted "snow days". Apparently, the only assumed risk during a blizzard is having to drive in the snow.... walking seems to be acceptable. My greates suffering (I know - I'm a little melodramatic) was how the cold wind would dry out my lips so I began regular use of the product Carmex. While it is a fantastic treatment for occassional cold-sores, I DO NOT recommend it as a daily treatment for dry, chapped lips. It's meducated content, as I was later told by a school nurse, had basically decreased my lips natural ability to moisturize themselves. The oils normally produced had practically disappeared as my use of Carmex increased. I became a daily user of lip balm for the next five years (I tried to switch to Organic products from natural sources - bees wax, etc.) and any day that I do not use it, I suffer stinging dry lips. It's not that painful, but there is a certain amount of panic that occurs when I cannot find my lip balm! I was told the only way to fix this problem is to simply go without the Carmex, or whatever lip balm, for about one month. During this time, it will be uncomfortable to wait as your lips begin to produce their natural oils again. The important part to note is that if you remain on the product for extended periods of time, you become dependent on it. If you do not stop, over time you may develop wrinkled, prematurely aged lips - similiar to those of a long-term smoker. So, it will be hard, but see a physician and find out if there is any way to alleviate the discomfort while getting your lips back to normal functioning. Hope this helps :-)

Dear Addicted to chapstick,

I can personally tell you that YES you can beaddicted to chapstick! I am and have been for about 20 years! I started using it every couple of hours because my lips were chapped and I was going to see my boyfriend in a couple days. After only a few days I couldn't stop because my lips would severely chap.(burn, dry, peal) The 1st thing in the morning and the last thing at night is put on vasaline.
Our bodies are lazy, (sounds aweful, but it is true) if we do something for it (or provide something for it) long enough (?) it will stop doing it for itself. ie. drugs. I haven't been able to quit yet but haven't really tried very hard. I's ask my doctor what you can do about it, think I will.

Wow my friend told me she was addicted to chap stick and I thought yeah right , but now that I hear your stories I think she is telling the truth . If she cant find her chap stick she will tear everything apart in her home to find it and she gets very moody .
Who knew chap stick was addictive , there should be a warning on the package .

Alright ladies! I have the answer!!! I too was addicted to chapstick for the longest and I wondered why?! I started taking a couple classes and got educated on the crazy idea! And I found that YES you can become addicted! What is it? Nothing less and nothing more than....PETROLEUM JELLY! It is addictive to your lips because your lips become co-dependent on that ingredient. NOt only that, but petroleum also ages your lip rapidly! Want a cure? Switch to a chapstick free of petroleum and watch how it all changes!! My recommendations? FRESH Sugar Lip Treatment, CAUDALIE Vino lip balm, KORRES lip balm, and JOSIE MORAN Argan Oil Stick. You can find all of these at a Sephora near you.... They are amazing and I am no longer adicted to chap stick!

I like the information you've posted but do you have any chapsticks that are for men too? I'd like to use something that's petroleum free but not really for women. Let me know okay?

Burner Balm Appetite Suppressant Lip Balm A new "must-have" temptation buster for Hollywood's Beautiful People.

LOS ANGELES, May 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Fresh from her sparkling debut on Hollywood's haute red carpets, Australian Supermodel Sophie Turner proves once again that she's a formidable package of beauty and brains by being one of the first on Hollywood's "A" list of beautiful people to try Burner Balm Lip Balm. Burner Balm is the first lip balm to be infused with dietary ingredients like Green Tea, Hoodia Gordonii extracts, chromium picolinate and caffeine, all of which are known as effective ingredients in dietary supplements. This gorgeous blue eyed, blonde supermodel is one of the many attractive celebrities and socialites who finds that Burner Balm is a safe and convenient, "temptation buster." "Burner Balm is a simple, inexpensive, new diet must have," states Turner. As more and more "red carpet ready" stars begin to demand healthier alternatives to diet pills and over the counter appetite suppressants, Pacific Shore Holdings, Inc., creators of Burner Balm, are committed in continuing to provide dieters around the world, including the chic and elite, with a low cost, healthy formulated product line that's easy to use, without having the usual side effects normally associated with diet products.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I can relate to all of you. I have been using softlips cherry for almost 15 years. I apply it close to 50x a day. It has been dibilitating to say the least. My boyfriend of 10yrs and I used to joke about it, until I havent been able to find cherry softlips anywhere! I started my research and found a great post here about petroleum based products. Yesterday I bought chapstic all natural. I used it twice and my lips felt great. I tried berts bees with clove oil (for the tingle) and same result as the softlips. Its almost 1pm and I havent applied the any lip stuff yet today. I believe anything that is all natural, non petroleum based, and no tingle may do the trick. If I can get down to using a couple times a day I will be happy. Ill keep you all posted.

it is most definitely possible to become hooked on chapstick...i was for over 15 years.......if i went without chapstick even for a few hours my lips would start to hurt, burn, and swell up.......i had to have chapstick on them to maintain normal lips......then one day i wondered why i never had this problem when i was a child and a young person.....so i decided to quit using chapstick...cold turkey....phew !!!! the agony i went through of withdrawl.........it took me about 2 years to get over chapstick and i have not used it for at least 15 years....i am only now realizing how addictive the substances in chapstick were/are........i always suspected it contained something harmful and addicvtive.

YOU PEOPLE R ALL NUTS

Have any of you thought that maybe the alcohol in those products are drying your lips? Therefore you keep applying and it is a vicious circle. I use Banana Boat aloe vera with Vitamin E . Although I do have a difficult time finding it. Florida seems to be the place I pick up lots and bring it home to Canada

burts bees too!

ive been using chapstick everyday for a month now and for the past week ive noticed that my lips are dry alot. I remember hearing something before about petroleum doing more harm that good in chap sticks thats why I googled it and ran across this. Looks like im right im throwing this stick away now.

as far as the guy callin folks crazy.. im not one to fall for this but my lips are hardly ever dry or chapped... i beleive there is some truth to petroleum.. dont beleive it use it everyday for a month