HI. In the past several months, if not over a year now, I've noticed that I get these really tiny clear bumps on my lips. They can hardly be spotted and are barely visible but are bit itchy and irritating. Also, they seem to go away by themselves after several days. I started noticing this specifically after using a certain lipgloss and therefore I stopped using it. Nevertheless I'm still seeing these bumps and I've only been using chapstic!! Has anyone here had anything like this? Is it possible I have an allergy to chapstick?

From what you’ve rote it is most certain that you do have an allergy. I had the same reaction to all lipstick myself and later I found out that I have an allergy. Now I can use only vaseline on my lips, and nothing else. Anyway, the best thing for you to do is to have an allergy test that will show everything. Good luck.

My advice to you is instead of chapstick try applying a lip balm or Vaseline. I don’t know but I doubt that you are allergic on shapstick but I again you never know. I think you should see a doctor for that allergy or stop using chapstick and see what will happen. You could apply cold cream on your lips at night, before going to sleep because if you keep applying chapstick, your lips tend to feel even drier as the chapstick wears off.

I went to use peppermint chapstick....I put it on and the next thing you know it was burning really bad. I wiped it off quickly. The next day i had a red line on my bottom lip. A very red line. The next day i notice my lips where getting bumps and starting to hurt badly, then they started to swell. BIG it looked a if i had fat injections into my lips. First my bottom lip was swollen and bumpy then my upper... I felt horrible and it stung really bad...SO i used cold rags to help w/ the stinging and pain and the swelling...I went and go ABREVA ( spendy) and then some plain vasaline. I keep using that combo 2-5 x a day. It helped w/ the pain and the fever blisters/cold sores...today Im on day 4 and starting to feel a little better...still painfull though...Abreva did numb my lips as soon as i put it on. It did help w/ a little of the stinging and the pain. Like I said depedning on where you purchase it. It can cost $12.00-$15.00. However it was worth it when i tried it...

I too had this same reaction, my lips were dry and flakey and I tried the Vegan Hemp Balm, Burt's bees and another which I can't remember - all led to burning, itching, swelling and those little bumps. It took about 3 weeks to clear. Yesterday forgetting this, I absentmindedly used the Hemp balm again and this morning woke with my lips looking like bozo the clown's. The common herb in all three items that I used is Rosemary extract. The pepermint in Burt's bees stings like crazy.
So, today, I washed the area with clear water and dabbed it with Hydrogen peroxide and then again with clear water.

I used Burts Bees chapstick and had a similar reaction to most of the postings. My lips swelled up and had little bumps on the top lip, I don't mind the swelling so much because it's zexy..... but the worst part is the soreness of my lips. It freaked me out, so I'm glad I found this site!

Thanks

Sounds horrible, but I've had this similar situation, but maybe a lot worse since I dealt with it for over a year back in my teens. Pretty much your lips must be itchy, burning like crazy and red all around right? Well since you obviously had an allergic reaction to whatever was in that chapstick, you can use a couple home remedies to help get you by before making that appointment with a dermatalogist. You can take a capsule of vitamin E, cut that bad boy in half and take all the juice from that capsule and spread it like butter on your lips. Wash your lips first under cold water to relieve the sensitive areas. You can also apply aloe vera. If you want to give the balm another try, I suggest you use the one with natural ingredients such as candula , beeswax, and sweet oils, which will help moisturize your lips.

Okay, so I too have used some kind of chapstick, lip stuff....I love chapstick and lip glosses and have many different kinds in my purse so I have no idea which one is causing these bumps, redness, and pain. I woke up the other morning with small bumps all across my top lip that were painful and swollen. I have continued to use the many lip glosses but will stop today. the bumps seem to have started to heal and I have been using vitamin e capsules ..I am thinking that this is something that has to heal in time and we have to hang in there until it does heal. My lips still hurt today the 4th day and are dry and crackly; feels like I have a sunburn or very chapped lips and I have never had chapped lips before. I will continue with the vit e and hope for the best... I guess I will have to stop with the glosses and chapsticks....boooooo! Please give any advise....

I've also had a very severe allergic reaction to Burt's Bees lip balm. I kept applying it because my lips were sore and swollen, until I finally realized it was the problem. My lips swelled up so much it interfered with eating. I had to go to the ER and ended up taking steroids for 10 days. After about a year, I absent-mindedly used some lip balm I found in my coat pocket - it turned out to be Burt's Bees and again my lips swelled up. Since I only applied it once I didn't have to go to the ER, but it took 2 or 3 days before the redness and swelling went down.

Another poster indicated the ingredient they reacted to was rosemary extract. At one point I thought I'd figured out what I reacted to, based on the fact that I'm allergic to latex, benzoin, betadine, and IV contrast dye. I found a website that listed related products, including eucalyptis oil and tea tree oil. One of the things listed was also in Burt's Bees, but I don't remember what it was and I can't find that website now.

In any case, IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO LATEX, BENZOIN, or BETADINE I would think twice before using any of the Burt's Bees products.

Also, be aware that a lot of doctors will not take you seriously regarding these allergies. After reacting to a vaginal cream that included betadine, several doctors told me it couldn't be, because the betadine cream is a treatment for allergic reactions, and thus cannot cause an allergic reaction. After a painful and expensive week, I just stopped the medication myself AMA.

I have had this same problem for 5 years. I finally went to a dermatologist about a year ago and the doctor told me this was very common and that most people are allergic to some lipglosses and lip balms or toothpaste. He told me to use sensodyne and vaseline only for a couple weeks until the redness and itchy peely stuff went away and then slowly introduce one lipgloss a week to see if it was okay.

WOW! I'm so glad I found this sight! I had the same allergic reaction to Burt's Bees lip balm. It came on suddenly though. I used it religiously for years and all the sudden I had tiny blisters/bumps all over my lips! They feel extremely sunburnt.

I loved the stuff and am jealous when all my friends whip out theirs and lovingly apply it, so I wanted to make sure I really was allergic. It happened a year and a half ago and I figured I'd give it another shot and see if it happened again. Sure enough! Now, as I type, my lips hurt like hell!

I used Prednizone the first time, but this time I'm just waiting it out..

oh my goodness, i thought i was the only one with this issue. glad to see i am not. thank all of you for your advice. but i do have a question what do we use? you see i am a lip liner, lipstick junkie, and need some sort of something to apply first. HELP!!! %-)

my lips were very chapped and i refused to use the lip balm my bf lent me. but out of fustration i used it and now i am experiencing intense pain on my upper lip. Intailly there were little bumps that dried out aand left dead skin but now there a cluster of blsters on the side of my lips. i feel ictch on the other side too. i put some abreva on it but the pain continues to presist. i hate this. should i take some benadryl to relieve the pain???

chapped lips are often due to dehydration... if you drink enough water (6-8 glasses a day) of pure, clean water (tap water is poison) you should not have to use anything on your lips at all.

i've experienced something similar after using burts bees. I used pure coconut oil, blistex intensive moisturiser, and elizabeth arden 8 hour cream to help. When the bumps were really bad I found putting nothing on my lips helped most.

After the bumps the lips strip leaving patches of lighter coloured dry skin which looks a little weird but should clear up soon.