I'm 22 yrs old and on 4/27/07 my gallbladder was removed. Four days after the surgery I was re-admitted to the Hospital because of extreme pain in my back and abdomen. For 5 days they did tests (CT’s, MRI’s, Blood work, etc.) They had no idea what was wrong with me.
I explained that my pain starts in my mid to lower back and runs around into my abdomen between my bellybutton and my pelvic area. The pain is constant (you know on the Dr. scale of 1-10 my constant pain is like at a 8-9) and from time to time I get sharp shooting pain (15-16 on the scale) that either goes from my back to my bellybutton or from by back to my pelvic area.
The Dr. told me that he has never head of pain going from the back to the abdomen from a gallbladder removal. I was so upset because I felt like I was crazyand like maybe I was just not explaining my pain properly.
On the 6th day I was in the Hospital I was referred to a Pain Management Specialist…when he came to see me he was so confident that he would be able to fix me. He told me that my problem was that my Iliohypogastric nerve was damaged somehow from the surgery.
I have now been seeing my Pain Dr. for 2 months and I am in still in chronic pain. The Dr. gave me 6 nerve blocks and put me on 1800mg of Neurontin that didn’t work so he change my medication to 250mg of Lyrica. I have to take pain pills daily that make me weepy and depressed but control my pain to a manageable level. I can’t work, I can’t clean, I cry all of the time over nothing, and I can’t even be close with my husband. I don’t think it wouldn’t be so bad if my loved ones didn’t have to suffer through this with me, you know.
It is now 8/2/07 and I am still not better…

im sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. i got mine out in june of 06 and i am 27. my pain is nowhere near as bad as yours but mine seems to be getting worse. i have a very hard time sitting now for more that 30 min. my back and upper abdomen have stabbing pain. it makes it hard to work and sleep. i have gone in a few times and they find nothing and tell me im fine.

Do you know if they checked to see if there were any stones in your bile duct or anywhere else before removing the gallbladder?