I am an healthy 38yo man, never had any health issues and no problem of any kind to my digestive tract, I can (could?) eat just about anything.
12 days ago I had a fairly bad upper right abdominal which led me to the ER. Some 20 minutes after arriving the pain stopped, just like that, like a switch, so then the Dr just bothered to guess it could be "kidney stones" and sent me on my way.
In the following days I had 3 more attacks of light pain which did not last long and heartburn a few times. Last Sunday I had another bad one (7 on 10 pain scale I would say) and went to the ER again, some blood test revealed elevated liver functions and the Dr said he thought I had gallbladder stones, the gallbladder area was quite sore and tender to the touch. This Monday I went for a sonogram that revealed nothing, liver, kidneys and gallbladder looked just fine.
I talked with the surgeon and he want me to have the gallbladder removed. The only real reason he could give me was "well you have more then one pain attack".
I am very undecided, I have not had any pain for a few days, have gotten myself in a diet cutting out fatty foods, most dairy, and I feel just fine.
Considering all I have read here I am not sure if the surgery is the way to go. I know you guys cannot really tell me what to do and just give me advise, but I would love to hear what you have to and do you think it would be ok to "wait and see" ? I am feeling like I should tell the surgeon I do not want to surgery right now and want to wait and see if there are any new developments.
Thank you in advance for any advise.

Your surgeon did not give you the respect that you deserve. I think surgery is premature at this point. However, I don't think you should wait and see either. I suggest that you seek a second opinion as soon as possible. Problems with the pancreas can also cause abnormal liver function, and the kind of upper abdominal pain that you have been experiencing.

I would strongly advise that you get it out. I had near constant episodes of gallstone attacks for over 14 months, which was absolute hell. Once the gall stone pain attacks start it doesn't stop.

I tried everything possible to stop the pain, I put my self on a fat free diet, I only ate small meals several times day, but still got the pain.
I had mine out 3 days ago, and I am in a fair amount of post op pain, but nothing that strong pain killers can't help, and the pain is nothing like a gall stone attack!

I wish I had had this surgery a year and a half ago, it would have prevented an awful lot of agony and suffering, I lost so much weight and I was so weak I couldn't take care of my son. I am so glad this horrible nightmare has ended.

I completely agree with hoseclamps. I don't think that you got a lot of respect and I think that it's hard to tell if this surgeon even knows much about what he's talking about! It's a good idea to seek out a second opinion to make sure that what you are undertaking as a course of treatment works. PLease let us know how it goes for your second consult.

I had my gallbladder removed along with a benign liver mass and I REALLY wish I had pursued it further. I had right upper quadrant pain(it felt like liver pain to me but 3 doctors told me livers don't hurt), 3 CT scans, HIDA scan which said GB was functioning normally, MRI, 2 EGDs and colonoscopy. All normal in spite of my continiung pain and wgt loss and feeling really bad. The only thing they could see was this liver mass so took GB in order to get to it. Sincer surgery I have had continued pain beneath my shoulderblade and a terrible time with bile reflux gastritis.

I am on several meds that ALL require being taken on empty stomach!! Try managing that eating small meals sevearl times a day! Now suffering terribly with restless leg syndrome which I have learned goes hand in hand with long term use of antacids and PPIs because they block absorption of iron in stomach. Now I have supplements that need to be taken on empty stomach and not close to any antacids or gastric meds!! It is INSANE!!

Get a more thorough workup before just agreeing to have it out because that is all they can think to do. All doctors tell you that living without your gallbladder is not big deal. I think you have learned on this site how untrue that is.

Hello;
During a visit to take care of Oldest Daughter when she got sick (Feb. 15, 2012), I got a tremendous attack of pain under my ribs on the right side I was also vomiting a lot of Blood (Mar. 16, 2012). My Husband took me to the Hospital & it was discovered that I was suffering from acute Gallbladder & Gallstone pain & I was told that I had to have surgery to remove my Gallbladder. Since then I have heard several horror stories about weight gain & weight loss after surgery & to be honest I'm kind of hoping that if I do go through with the surgery that I will have weight loss. You see in 2006 I was given some medication & one of the side effects was weight gain, to some people that is acceptable & at the time it was for me as well, because I weighed ninety eight to one hundred pounds at the most, so when I found out the side effects I thought to my-self "Hmm I could use a few extra pounds ", but within three months I had gained almost one hundred pounds, so I stopped taking the medication. In the six years since I've only managed to lose 20 pounds. Now I'm reading all kinds of horror stories about gallbladder removal & to be quite honest I'm a bit perplexed. My Older Sister needs a Liver donation from me as I'm the only person in our Family that not only can but will donate part of their Liver to her, but I am worried about all of the Tylenol I'm taking for the pain I'm going through right now. Will it hurt my Liver & her chances of a donation, should I wait until after the donation in June of this year or can I have the surgery & still be able to donate part of my Liver to her (she contracted Hepatitis C from a Blood Transfusion some years ago, hence the reason for the donation)?
Can some-one please help me out with these questions of weight loss & donation & possible Liver damage?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thank You for reading this.
Sincerely:
Linda J. Wilkinson

Dear arriba;

Since you've posted your last post how have you been doing? Have you had any improvements or further diagnosis of your conditions?

Thank you for the information about the antacids, how long were you taking the antacids before you started to get Restless Leg Syndrome?

I ask because My Husband has been taking antacids for a little while now & I know that Restless Leg Syndrome is incurable once you get it you've got it.

I hope that every-thing has worked out much better for you.

Sincerely;

Linda J. Wilkinson

I have a similar experience. I have severe rls after gal bladder removal as well as a collapsing airway from the intubation. Go find the best naturopath u can and try to flush the gal stones naturally. Change your eating!! Do u want to take a chance on being user able the rest of your life? Not to mention I have contant diahrea issues. I am so much worse off for having it out. That is my experience. I wish someone would have shared with me. Exhaust every option and naturopathic hemp Before u go under.

Sorry for the typos in my post. I now can't breath and suffer nightly with restless legs and also have diahrea after gal bladder surgery. Please see a really good naturopath. U NEED YOUR GAL BLADDER! Yes some people do ok after others NO. TRY EVERY OTHER OPTION FIRST.

Request an ultrasound, with this they can see if there are stones present in the gallbladder or common bile duct. I had my Gallbladder out about 8 months ago, I put it off after having 7 attacks, and after the surgery it was much better. The surgery itself, these days isn't bad, they do use laproscopic surgery, which makes 3-4 incisions, use a suction tool, and cauterization tool, and of course a cutting tool, to remove, suck up, and then cauterize to minimize bleeding, it's a pretty cool thing to be completely honest, recovery time was about 2 weeks for me, which isn't bad for a major surgery, with minimal scarring. I recommend the surgery, because without it, it can kill you.